Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am stupid, I moved in with them!!!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 337 Total Views
My husband daughter and I have just moved out of our 1 bdrm apt to my in-laws.  We do have the whole 3 rd floor which is 3 rooms and a full bath.  And the whole idea is to save some money for a down payment on a house.  We have only been here 2 weeks but already I am going crazy.  My MIL is constantly asking me where I am going and if I could do something for her.  I come home from work and she asks me to do her laudry and what am I cooking for dinner.  We are paying her rent and I thought the idea was for her to take care of her husband and I' d take care of my family.  I am loosing it.  I'll tell you one thing we will be saving money real quick around here becuase the sooner we are out the better.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
amyguppy
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM
Yikes!  That doesn't sound like a good situation to be in.  Have you tried talking to her and asking her to back ofr a bit and also asking her what exactly the terms of your family moving in there were?  Maybe she thinks that you were supposed to keep her house clean in addtion to rent?  I would straighten this out now... if it's this bad after two weeks, how much worse do you think it will get?

jenimac69
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:11 AM
Trust me.  This WILL get worse.  We moved in downstairs of my inlaws house because they needed our help and we couldnt afford our condo any longer so it made for a good situation for everyone at the time.  Well after 4 years im going insane,  ive had at least 4 or 5 big arguments with my MIL.  From how to raise my son to how i shouldnt buy unsalted butter if a recipe calls for salt anyway use salted butter to cleaning up around the house.  Plus there are small catty disagreements in between as well.  Both are constantly asking us to do things for them which is fine but let me walk through the door first and relax from being told what to do at work.   Its impossible to have a conversation with my MIL without being reprimanded like im her child. And its hard to speak with her about how she speaks with me cause then she acts "wounded".  Im the only one in the  house that doesnt put up with that "act" so we butt heads quite a bit.  Dont make the same mistake of not discussing expectations of everyone in the house.  Clear that up now or it will get ugly.  If your the quiet type now, you will get railroaded.  If you speak up now, you will set the boundaries even living in their territory. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)