Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rubber band options

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 767 Total Views

It has been a long time since I've requested help/advice from this site. To be honest I forgot about it until about an hour ago.

I am having a mini crisis regarding my daughter's hair. She is 3 now, her hair-- when wet-- is down to the center of her back. When dry, the curls put her hair at shoulder length. I have been putting it in box twists for a few years now, since it became long enough to do that with. My crisis is this... the little black rubber bands get so tangled in her curls that they are nearly impossible to remove. I started cutting them out of her hair to try to ease the pain, but the tangling is already done at that point. This time, I used the elastic bands that come in assorted colors, thinking they would eliminate the tangles. They have eliminated the tangle, but they are too tight for me to get my fingers in and too big to effectively hold the boxes in place. I can wrap them three times at most and have to readjust them 4-5 times a day. Plus the twists don't stay as well with these elastics.

She just recently had cornrows put in her hair by a family friend and they stayed without rubber bands on the ends. It's not about her hair texture or how well it holds. I'm just trying to save her the pain of me popping those darned things out and snagging her hair in the process.

Does anyone have an alternative solutions for this problem?

Cornrows w/o rubberbanded ends

Boxes w/ elastics, quality is poor due to being from cell phone, but you can see the braids on the right side of her head are loose.Boxes w/ black rubber bands, older pictures, but you can see how much tighter the boxes are.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Chrissy2944
by Group Owner on Jun. 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Wow...sorry no one has responded...I have been trying to finish up my degree and had very little time (I would get sucked in to cafemom every time I logged in lol).

Anyway, if you still need help...they make these none slip rubber bands in the hair section...they are sold like the little black rubber bands but there are less for the same price and often for more...but you can just pull them out of the hair with no problem...

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit" ~Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women." Alice Paul

"How quickly a 'woman's right to choose' comes to serve a 'man's right to use.'" --Juli Loesch

tyesmommy
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

thats a tough one you may when using the ruber bands make sure not to over twist them, and the tiny scicers my help....

Zaylah
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I'm not sure if this will help but try putting hair grease on the rubberbands before you put them in her hair and put more grease on then before you try to take them out of her hair.

MamaR317
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I found these black bands at Family Dollar (so far I haven't seen them anywhere else). They are a little bigger than the multi colored ones that come with like 500 in a pack. They hold well, they don't break off the hair, they come off easily and they are inexpensive $1 a bundle. I hope this helps.

blackpanther75
by Member on Aug. 6, 2009 at 4:40 PM

found them there too!

Quoting MamaR317:

I found these black bands at Family Dollar (so far I haven't seen them anywhere else). They are a little bigger than the multi colored ones that come with like 500 in a pack. They hold well, they don't break off the hair, they come off easily and they are inexpensive $1 a bundle. I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)