Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick question

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 11:20 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 222 Total Views
I have been to a few births where the mom wanted hot compresses on her perineum.... Would it be crossing the line for me to do that for her?  I have no idea on this one...  I wouldnt mind doing it, I just don't know if it would be appropriate.
by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mammasgirl
by Member on Mar. 21, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Hi Carriec! 
As far as I understand that would partisipating in a "medical" procedure and should be left to either the partner , dr./midwife or nurse. Of course you know that anything medical is outside the scope of practice for doulas. She can ask the nurse on duty for help w/that.
Remember that warm oil also helps with getting the tissues pliable if worked in during the perineum massage as the head is crowning. There was a gal on the DONA forum that said she takes a mini crock pot to warm oil. I thought of having hot water from the caffeteria and placing the oil bottle in that to warm, as not to have to bring a plug in item.
I can't wait to start participating in births but I am also nervous in hoping the expectations from clients are met.  I try to tell myself , just think of it like all the other births I have been to even though I was not a trained doula.
Have a great day!Laughing

doulamomma
by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 10:17 PM
I talked with my friend who is a Monitrice and a L&D nurse. She said that hot compresses on the perineum is considered a medical treatment and is outside the scope of a doulas resposibilities.  She said you can always ask a nurse to do it, or you can even get permission for the partner/spouse (from the doc and nurse) to apply the compresses. It is one of those very fine line circumstances Smile
Carriec
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2007 at 2:36 PM
As I figured!  Thanks guys.  And I would guess that a spouse or partner would not need permission from the doctor, wouldn't you?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)