Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to find a free or discount doula?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1439 Total Views

I am due in August with my 3rd child (my other 2 are 17 and 11!). This will be the first birth that my mother is not able to be with me during labor. My DH is very young and has never gone through this, and althought I think he will do his best to be supportive, I am just a little scared he will lose it or not know what to do.

Well, I was recently laid off (a great situation to be in while pregnant) and money is VERY tight to say the least. I have read alot about doulas and really would like to have one,  but just can't afford the prices most of them are asking. I have heard about doulas who are trying to get certification doing births for free or discounted rates-but my question is, how would I go about finding someone like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
birthinbloom
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Congratulations on taking the first step towards giving yourself and your partner the gift of a doula at your birth, doula's really do make a great additon to your support team!

I am a doula in the DC area in the process of getting my certification through DONA (http://www.dona.org/). You can get the names of local certified doulas on their website but I would recommend looking for a doula currently working towards DONA certification by contacting DONA directly.  I would also suggest checking craigslist, that's where I list my services for a discounted rate. Finding a student doula is the best way to get low cost or free doula services. 

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your upcoming birth!

Kerry, Birth Doula and Mommy to Emma 4/21/08 and Kelsey 7/31/98

www.birthinbloom.com

littlemrsmarcel
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM

You can also check out findadoula.com, where lots of student doulas are listed.

~ Kimmee ~

Navy Wife, Belly Love Doula, Student Childbirth Educator, Aspiring Midwife, Loving Momma, TTCer, Not-So-Pro Photographer, Singer in the Shower, Laundry Hanger, Anti-Mainstreamer, Nature-Lover, DIYer, Home-Schooler, Goofy Goober, Fantastic Lover, Awesome Friend, Kinda Spastic, Nifty and Spiffy, too!

Kimmee's Myspace ~ Belly Love Doula Services ~ Sweet Dreams Artography

kimmybunny4
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Where are you located?  I am currently working towards my certification with Dona. 

mina_amysmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Thanks for the responses and info! I live close to Seattle-about 15 minutes South.

Cindylou4
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM

You can also contact these website's. You already heard about www.dona.org, http://www.a.l.a.c.e.org, www.cbi.org, birthnationalnetwork.org,  doulanetwork.org, birthingfromwithin.orgwww.c.a.p.p.a.org In Seattle you have a well known Seattle Midwifery School. They might know of  a local group.

I reccommend that you read the history an philosphy of the companies an see what best suit's you. Remember to interview several doula's personalities and TRUST are key's to a good birth.  

I am in Connecticut. Blessing to you and your's.

My advice ( which you didn't ask for ) Trust your body. Trust birth & your instinct's. 

Cindy lou Burgess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)