Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Favorite Children's Book

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

There's something about the books we read when we were children. When someone mentions it or you see the cover while browsing at the bookstore you are taken back in time. Share with the group what was/ is your favorite book when you were a child? What is your child's favorite book?

My favorite children's book is Miss Nelson is Missing. This book is about a classroom of overly active children that do not obey their teacher. One day the class gets a substitute who is super mean. When the teacher returns the class is well behaved. The sub was the teacher dressed in disguise. Also I loved that the classroom had a Texas flag in it.

Right now my son is fascinated with any book that has bright colors.

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
alliecat1881
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:24 AM
We had so many books it's hard to choose :)  I really loved "Heckedy Peg" by Don and Audrey Wood.  It is about a mom with 7 kids named after the days of the week.  The mom goes to the store and tells the kids not to open the door for anyone and what happens... they do, of course.  It was a witch and she turns them into dinner!  The mom goes to rescue them by guessing which child is which food, judging by what they wanted from the store.  I LOVE the illustrations in it.  Don and Audrey Wood always have great books.

My favorite book for the stories was "Sideways Stories From Wayside School".  I hardly ever read growing up, but I think I read that book about a million times.  It was a chapter book with very few illustrations so that's saying a lot for me! ;) haha I guess they're going to make a TV series out of it for Nickelodeon.  I try to read more often now, but it's hard to find the time!  Books keep me awake thinking much longer than the TV ever does.

Right now my son is really into Sandra Boynton and Eric Carle books.  He especially loves "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "Brown Bear Brown Bear, What do You See".  I'm glad he loves his books!  I want him to be an avid reader like his father, not like me!
blessedhappymom
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 7:04 PM
I love Eric Carle's books. Louis Schacer is also the author of Holes. That is an excellent book. It's a chapter book, but very intriguing. The movie was produced by Disney (I think), did it justice, but like always the book is better.
3Gdkids
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I can t remember the name of the book but it has a monster on the fron twith a child.  Used to love that book.  Also like Ramona books

tinkerbell30
by on Aug. 20, 2007 at 5:14 PM
I would have to say mine was The Velveteen rabbit. I still have my original copy, that my grandfather would read to me, and then I would read. I read it to the kids, hoping they will value their possessions more. I also loved was it Where the Monsters grow....where a kid gets sent to his room and he starts fantasizing about a monster land. The Miss Nelson is missing and Miss Nelson is Back was a great book group. My kids like that one also, but really love the big story books, where you get more than one. So they read Hansel and Gretel, Rupelstiltskin (sp?) etc in them.
happy1mom
by on Aug. 20, 2007 at 11:47 PM
My fave children's books are the Slinky Malinki series.  Here's a great review:

"Slinky is a nice cat as long as the sun is shining. But once the sun goes down and the night darkens, he prowls the neighborhood as a literal cat burglar. Nothing is safe as the feline rapscallion makes off with whatever he wants. Then one night he goes too far and steals far more than usual. Slinky gets caught by his family and is eternally shamed.  This tail offers an example of rehabilitation. Having been caught and shamed, the cat refuses to give in to the desire to steal at night. They say a leopard can not change its spots but this cat definitely does. Check it out."

blessedhappymom
by on Aug. 22, 2007 at 12:49 AM

Thanks to you all for sharing. Right now my son is fascinated by a book called World's Greatest Dad by Kath Smith. It's so cute. It's a story told by a child about how great their dad is because of the things they do. The front cover has an opening so you can put your own personal picture in there. I got in on sale at Barnes and Noble for $5.00!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)