Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coffee question

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

What is the difference between Espresso powder and regular ground coffee? And is there any difference in regular whole bean coffee (100% Col. is what I have) and espresso beans? I have several cookie recipes I want to try, but they call for espresso powder and whole espresso beans! Thanks!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SherriPontious
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM

The difference is the flavor will be richer with espresso, and it has more caffeine... But if you're adding it in a recipe I don't think that there would be a problem substituting coffee

musicgirl77
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM

isn't espresso just a darker roast?  I really don't think there's a difference in the basic coffee bean.  You get all the different kinds of coffee from the roasting process.  There may be some differences in the breed of beans from different parts of the world like different kinds of apples, but the bean is the bean.  Columbian is a darker roast of French or Italian.  And I THINK espresso would simply be the darkest roast, thus intensifying its flavor and strength.......like cooking down a sauce to intensify the flavors.  I'm NO EXPERT and COULD BE WRONG, but that's my take on it, lol. 

fruitypeb5
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

i think espresso powder is strong coffee ground into a powder.

i <3 coffee!

ItalianMommy3
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Im a huge coffee nut and I dont really know what its is..I do know its very very strong dark coffee. but if you sub espresso with regular coffee add lots of coffee and less water to make it rich. or if you go to the store they carry this little jar of instant espresso with a green lid. good luck

Kim8808
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 1:16 PM
From Wisegeek.com: "Espresso powder begins life as a select variety of coffee beans that are cultivated specifically for the brewing of espresso. Usually, the beans are ground just before the espresso is brewed. Once the grounds have been used to make espresso, they do not have to be discarded. Instead, the used espresso grounds can be dried and then crushed into a fine powder. Espresso grounds retain a great deal of flavor and the powder that is made from the crushed grounds will have plenty of taste and aroma. The end result is a handy cooking additive that can be used in a number of different recipes for both foods and drinks. One of the more common uses of espresso powder is to whip up a cup of instant espresso. Spooned into hot water or milk in the same manner that instant coffee is used, the powdered espresso produces a great tasting cup of espresso in just minutes. As with any powdered coffee, it is important to vary the amount of espresso powder used according to personal taste."
t00cute
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM

you can substitute the powder for regular coffee

Quoting hyde57:

What is the difference between Espresso powder and regular ground coffee? And is there any difference in regular whole bean coffee (100% Col. is what I have) and espresso beans? I have several cookie recipes I want to try, but they call for espresso powder and whole espresso beans! Thanks!

mareksmama
by on Nov. 2, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Espresso is a very strong coffee.  I like to call it "rot gut"  My step-father drinks it.  Regular coffee has a milder flavor....as for baking...you can sub. instant coffee...but it may alter the flavor.  Whole espresso beans are generally more bitter than regular coffee beans...but are delicious! 

hyde57
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Thanks! I will look in the store for the green-lid jar. I may just have to sub regular inst coffee, though. Te gal at Starbucks had no idea what I was aking for when I asked her! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)