Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday cake recipe??

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade birthday cake??  I can't find one anywhere.  Please help, thanks!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Wanting1More09
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:44 AM

What are you looking for flavor wise?
I have a recipe for a carrot cake and cream cheese icing, to knock your socks off.
It does my husband anyway. LOL
*And it is so simple to make.

curtkimb
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Here is my favorite Chocolate Cake recepie!

2c sugar, 1/2 c cocoa, 1 c liquid shortening, 2 eggs, pinch salt, 2 cups flour, 1c sour or buttermilk, 1 c hot water, 2tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla.

Preheat over to 350. Mix sugar, cocoa, shortening, eggs, salt, flour, and buttermilk. Add water, soda, and vanilla. Batter will be thin, Pour into a 9x13in baking plan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Mrs.Grasshopper
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Im in the process of making one now- I'll get the recipe and post it in a min its choc ive never had it before but i heard it was good~

Mrs.Grasshopper
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I tried this recipe for a homemade chocolate cake and homemade chocolate icing and it was the best I've ever eaten!  I just wanted to share it with everybody.  Here it is:

Cake                                                                   Icing

2 c sugar                                                           6 T butter

1 3/4 c flour                                                       2 2/3 c powdered sugar

3/4 c Hershey's cocoa                                   1/2 c Hershey's cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking powder                              1/3 c milk

1 1/2 tsp baking soda                                  1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 c milk

1/2 c vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla

1 c boiling water

Chocolate Cake

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease two (9-inch) or a 9X13 pan.  In large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).  Pour batter into pan.  Bake 30-35 min for the 2 round cake pans or 35-40 min for the 9X13 pan.  When done, cake will pull away from the sides and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool completely and add icing. 

Chocolate Icing

Add butter to mixing bowl and stir butter until creamy.  Add powdered sugar and cocoa...alternating with milk until it is all in the bowl.  Beat well after each addition.  Blend in vanilla.  Add additional milk if needed to make it smoother.

I got it from another gal on here she posted it recently im just trying to make the frosting now!

*update*

I made the cake and frosting yesterday and the cake is reallly yummy the frosting is good to but it was a bit runny so if you make it i would take it easy on the milk! good luck

suzyben
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 6:07 AM

I made the chocolate cake  yesterday and my hubby& kids loved it and he isnt a chocolate cake eater..I put whipped cream in the middle layer like a whoppie pie and just frosted the top...

lecoleman
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Thanks!!  I can't wait to try it...sounds great!

Quoting Mrs.Grasshopper:

I tried this recipe for a homemade chocolate cake and homemade chocolate icing and it was the best I've ever eaten!  I just wanted to share it with everybody.  Here it is:

Cake                                                                   Icing

2 c sugar                                                           6 T butter

1 3/4 c flour                                                       2 2/3 c powdered sugar

3/4 c Hershey's cocoa                                   1/2 c Hershey's cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking powder                              1/3 c milk

1 1/2 tsp baking soda                                  1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 c milk

1/2 c vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla

1 c boiling water

Chocolate Cake

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease two (9-inch) or a 9X13 pan.  In large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).  Pour batter into pan.  Bake 30-35 min for the 2 round cake pans or 35-40 min for the 9X13 pan.  When done, cake will pull away from the sides and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool completely and add icing. 

Chocolate Icing

Add butter to mixing bowl and stir butter until creamy.  Add powdered sugar and cocoa...alternating with milk until it is all in the bowl.  Beat well after each addition.  Blend in vanilla.  Add additional milk if needed to make it smoother.

I got it from another gal on here she posted it recently im just trying to make the frosting now!

*update*

I made the cake and frosting yesterday and the cake is reallly yummy the frosting is good to but it was a bit runny so if you make it i would take it easy on the milk! good luck

momoftwohearts
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM

This is my all time favorite for birthdays:

Banana Cake With Chocolate Buttercream

1 package of yellow cake mix

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 med. bananas, smashed

1 c. water

1/2 c. veg oil

3 eggs

1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

**** I have done two different toppings for this.  One is a chocolate buttercream which is 1 stick of butter, softened, 2/3 c cocoa, 2 c powd. sugar, a few T. milk (one at a time until you get it to the right consistency) 1 t. vanilla, pinch of salt

or I do a chocolate ganache which is about 3/4 c. whipping cream, 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped, 1 T. butter.  Heat cream, pour over chocolate, whisk butter.  Pour. 

I swear, I have made this at 4 different birthday parties and they love love it!!  The last one I did it for my nephews party and I piped the edges of the cake on with chocolate icing and then made some green icing and piped his name.  It was really nice with the chocolate and the green.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)