Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

healthier eating.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:02 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 113 Total Views

I want to get my family eating healthier. I'm on a tight budget. My family never ate healthy so I dont know what to make then salad or grilled chicken. help please

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Wanting1More09
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Check out the Weight Watchers Group.
There are some amazing recipes there, that are very delicious.
I make them for my faimly and the kids don't even know. LOL
Here is one...........

PORK ROAST w/MANGO PRESERVES

2-3 lbs pork roast
1 Lg jar of Smuckers Mango Preserves, slathered all over.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes per lb.

BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
Slice potatoes fry sty
Toss with a drizzle of olive oil & salt

Two ways to go now.......
SPICY:
Add black pepper and cayenne pepper
SWEET:
Add brown sugar
Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or until fork tender.

Very healthy and delicious, and if you do like I do, I buy the huge pork roast, and have the butcher half it for me. Buy both halves. It cost a lot less,  and you'll get two dinners out of it.

I paid for a 6lb'er $1.99 per pound yesterday.
It would have cost for half the size $4.59 a lb.
Same piece of meat.

aintitgrand
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Start with cutting back on fats and sugars. Remember, it's healthier to have a pat of real butter instead of margarine too.  I would cut my ground beef by half with ground turkey, you'll never know it's there and you've cut the fat (and cost) by half!  Try to add some fresh coined carrots and a thinly sliced zuchinni squash to your spaghetti sauce, it is my kids fav!  Take vanilla yogurt and layer it with fresh fruit and granola in pretty parfait glasses (water goblets work good too).  The kids think this is fancy like at a restaurant!  Try to offer fresh veggies with light ranch dressing as a snack, and always sit out a bowl of fresh washed grapes. We homeschool, and when I take grapes to the classroom with us around 10 am they are gone by the time we finish our schoolwork before 2 pm!  We have successfully changed most every food in our house to a healthier version.  Whether it's the 100 calorie snack packs or choosing an organic version.  Organic is the best way to go though.  I feel good sitting down to organic cookies and organic milk with my kids as a splurge.  The key to keeping it all in budget is choosing quality over quantity.  You buy less food but spend about the same because you are being more selective.  If you don't bring the junk food into the house you can't eat it. That's where we have been working the hardest!  And once a week we go to TCBY instead of Dairy Queen!  Did you know that your body breaks down organic food differently than chemical laced junk?!  It doesn't store up all that crap into fat cells!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)