Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

leftovers...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 186 Total Views

So, I was just wondering what everyones "rule" is on how long to keep leftovers.. mine was 3 days, but I was just talking to a friend who says she keeps them for 7. I'm sure it's probably different for different things, but how long do you keep leftovers?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SammyPetals
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I usually keep them 3-5 days.  Like you said it depends on the food.  Like a veggie lasagna I'd probably keep five days but a chicken / pasta may be 3.

If it looks like I'm not going to eat them in the alotted time span, I freeze them and mark the date on the bag.  Then I keep up to 3-6 months.

j9gem
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I stick with the 3 day rule.  But then again, I have a twitchy tummy sometimes!  The hubby, tho, he'll eat whatever he can find in the fridge!  I do make sure to always throw out leftover chicken after 3 days, tho.  Chicken is a tricky beast.

Meats and Eggs in the Fridge

Most meats don’t last long in the refrigerator, though cooking can increase the length of time they will keep.

• Bacon – 7 days (unopened)
  • Chicken or turkey – 1-2 days
  • Cooked crab – 1-2 days
  • Cooked fish – 3-4 days
  • Cooked red meat leftovers and casseroles – 3-4 days
  • Eggs fresh in the shell – 3-5 weeks
  • Eggs hard-cooked in the shell – 1 week
  • Fresh lean fish – 1-2 days
  • Gravy, meat broth – 1-2 days
  • Ham slices (cooked) – 3-4 days
  • Lamb or pork (roasts or chops) – 3-5 days
  • Live shellfish (i.e., lobster) – same day purchased
  • Poultry (cooked) – 3-4 days
  • Poultry (raw) – 1-2 days
  • Raw shellfish – 1-2 days
  • Sausage – 1-2 days
  • Scallops (cooked) – 2-3 days
  • Steak or beef roast – 3-5 days
  • Stew or ground meat – 1-2 days
  • Stuffed lamb chops, pork chops, or chicken breasts – 1 day
  • Unopened luncheon meats and hotdogs – 2 weeks (3-5 days after opening) or expiry date, whichever comes first

These guidelines assume that the meat was bought fresh and that it has been kept in a cold fridge at all times. If the meat has been left out at any point or the fridge setting is not cold enough, it will spoil faster.

Big Damn Heroes

AnAnelsKiss
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I usually keep them till they stink or something is growing on them I know it is bad and really should get in there more often. hehe Then I know they are not edible anymore though

Amber (13)        Jazmine (11)        Tasia (4)              Tyrell (34) & Kelly (29)

(An Angel's Kiss)

lynn_mj13
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that!!! LOL. I don't have the time to go through my fridge every day and throw away what needs to be. So I just do it like once a week or so. If I can't remember when I cooked it, it probably isn't any good!! LOL

Quoting AnAnelsKiss:

I usually keep them till they stink or something is growing on them I know it is bad and really should get in there more often. hehe Then I know they are not edible anymore though

AnAnelsKiss
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Exactly bouncing

Quoting lynn_mj13:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that!!! LOL. I don't have the time to go through my fridge every day and throw away what needs to be. So I just do it like once a week or so. If I can't remember when I cooked it, it probably isn't any good!! LOL

Quoting AnAnelsKiss:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)