Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for Cream of Crab recipe

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 232 Total Views

I am looking for an easy recipe for cream of crab soup. I love this stuff and want to make it.

Thanks

by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tracy223
by on May. 25, 2009 at 8:46 AM

This is the recipe we use....it is a lot of work, but worth it!  It is so delicious, I could eat it for a week.

CRAB BISQUE

Yield: Makes 8 (first course) servings
Active Time: 45 min
Total Time: 2 3/4 hr

12 live or frozen uncooked blue crabs (3 to 3 1/2 pound), rinsed well
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
4 large thyme sprigs
1 whole clove
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 cup Cognac or other brandy
1 cup dry white wine
1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 cups water
1/3 cup long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Large pinch of cayenne
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, at room temperature 30 minutes, picked over

Equipment: an 8- to 10-qt pot with tight-fitting lid; a meat pounder or a rolling pin without handles

If using live crabs, add to pot of boiling water using tongs. Cover pot and cook over high heat until crab shells are red, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain crabs in a colander.

Put crabs (cooked or frozen uncooked) into a large metal roasting pan. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and pound shells with meat pounder to crush (including claws).

Heat butter and oil in same pot over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then cook onion, carrot, celery, and garlic with bay leaf, thyme, clove, peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add Cognac, wine, and crushed crabs and bring to a boil. Add broth and water and return to a boil. Skim foam, then simmer, covered, stirring and skimming occasionally, 1 hour.

Put colander in a large bowl, then drain crab broth, Transfer broth to a medium saucepan.

Ladle out 2 cups broth and transfer to a 1-quart saucepan. Add rice and simmer, covered, until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes (not all of liquid will be absorbed).

Blend together rice with cooking liquid and 1 cup more crab broth in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), then add to remaining broth in medium saucepan.

Just before serving, reheat bisque over medium heat until hot, then stir in tarragon, lemon juice, cayenne, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

Ladle bisque into bowls and spoon a little crabmeat into center.

dorothyellen
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Cream of Crab Soup

8 TBLS. butter

1 cup flour      1 & 1/2 tsp. minced garlic

1 & 1/2 tsp. minced shallots

1 quart chicken stock

1 quart Heavy Cream

1/2 pound backfin crabmeat

1/2 tsp. Old Bay

2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley

1 TBLS.  Sherry (optional)

In a 3 quart heavy pot, melt the butter.  Add the flour and stir until it becomes a paste.  Cook over medium heat until the roux looks like wet sand.  Add the garlic and shallots and cook for another 2 - 4 minutes.

While the roux is cooking, bring the chicken stock to a boil.  When the roux is ready, use a wire whisk and gradually pour in the stock.  Whisk until the roux is dissolved.  Raise the heat and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid lumps.  Add the cream and crab and heat through.   After heating, add the Old Bay, parsley and Sherry.

This is a rich crab soup.  I hope you enjoy  :)

Dorothyellen
ItalianMommy3
by on May. 26, 2009 at 12:19 AM

YUMM YUMM YUMM...Im gonna try that soooooon..I dont even care if its 100 degrees outside lol.. I've never tired crab bisque before lol..Im glad you posted this and some mommies add'd thier recipies lol...

busyasabee
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Thanks I'll try it

www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cparker
KRYSTAL91181
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I wonder if you can use Lobster in place of the crab? These recipes look and sound so good!!!!!

LydiaS
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I like this recipe. It's a tweak of one from allrecipes.com that uses lobster.

(one note, I LOVE crab so I think this turns out perfectly.  My hubby thought it was too crabby)

• 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 small shallots
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  •   3/4 pound cooked and cubed crab meat (I use snow crab because we don't get good blue crab in Vegas)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
  • 3 Tbs tomato paste (1/2 can)
  • 2 cloves grated garlic
  • 1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning (or something like it)
  1. In a small frying pan place 1/4 cup chicken stock and the shallot. Cook over a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes (till tender)
  2. In a medium size pot over medium heat melt the butter. Slowly whisk in flour. Whisk until a creamy mixture is created.
  3. Gradually pour in stock, whisking constantly. Whisk in all remaining ingredients EXCEPT milk. Heat until soup is almost boiling. When almost ready to serve, add milk. Do not boil the soup as the milk will curdle when boiled.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)