Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Receipes please with basic ingredients just moved abroad

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 204 Total Views

Hello Receipes Group!

I have just moved from the United States where ingredients were readily available. I need help! I have a 3 year old son who is a semi-picky eater so I am trying to be creative but on St Kitts where I moved to attend school so many of the ingredients I am used to cooking with are just not here.  So far I have found canned chicken, cucumbers, apples, lettuce, garlic, ramen noodles, instant and regular potatoes, and salt and pepper.  Anyone have ideas for basic receipes that contain most of these?THANK YOU!!

boy kissing mom

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DissieDothe
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Caribbean Chicken with Mango-Kiwi Salsa

The sweetness of the mango-kiwi salsa is a nice complement to jerk-seasoned chicken.

1 tsp. or more to taste dry Caribbean Jerk seasoning
  1 package (1-1 1/2 pounds) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  1 medium size ripe mango, (about 1 1/2 cups) peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
  1 medium ripe kiwi, (about 1/2 cup) peeled and coarsely chopped
  2 tsp. gingerroot, peeled and grated
  2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, washed and chopped

Steps:
Lightly sprinkle jerk seasoning on both sides of chicken. Broil chicken, 4" from the heat source, for 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 170 °F. Meanwhile, mix lime juice with the fruits, gingerroot, and cilantro or parsley in a medium bowl, toss together. Cover and chill while cooking chicken. Ladle 1/2 cup on top of each hot chicken breast. Serve with rice or roasted potatoes, a tossed salad and crusty bread

http://www.packabarrel.com/

rkoloms
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:11 AM

What a wonderful experience for you and your family. If I lived there, we would eat grilled fish, fresh fruits and veggies, and peas and rice every day. Talk to your neighbors about where to shop and how to find and cook the best items.

Robin in Chicago

Tryst
by on May. 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions I made the chicken and Adrian barely fussed.  It is to the fresh market on Saturday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)