Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hearty Vegetarian Recipes, runnin out of ideas?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:32 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 189 Total Views

I want to feed my family good veggie meals without so much soy and be able to fill their bellies with some healthy food. I started craving non veggie foods because i feel i dont have creative ideas for some meals. any advice?????

Ruby Quintanar

Work From home!!!

www.MomsCreateWealth.combig smile mini

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rkoloms
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:22 AM

There are so many wonderful vegetarian recipes. CafeMom has several groups, just search groups for the word vegetarian.

Without knowing what you already make, I will post a bunch of regular dishes at my house. Feel free to ask me any questions (unless this is the group that chastisted me for offering to answer questions about a recipe that I posted). If you don't have a crockpot, you can simmer the slowcooker recipes on the stove; stir often and add addtional liquids as needed.

I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).

Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed
1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

Kadee's Pot Pie, great for lazy cooks like me! You can sub whatever and I'm sure it'll still be good.
Crust (double this if you also want crust on the bottom, I like it better that way):
1 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. shortening (I use earth balance sticks)
3 tbsp. ice water
Mix all but the water with a fork until shortening is the size of small peas. Add ice water and mix to pastry consistency. Refrigerate while you mix the filling.
Filling:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can vegetable broth
1 small potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 carrot, sliced
1 large mushroom, sliced
1 small can corn (I use frozen)
1 small can peas (I use frozen)
about 1/4 tsp. each: sage, thyme, & oregano
Mix all these things together (you can use more or less broth to make the sauce the consistency you want). Cover the bottom of two loaf pans with crust (if you doubled the crust). Pour in the filling, and top with the rest of the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour. Very good. :)

LENTIL TACOS
Ingredients
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
8 ounce can tomato sauce (or home made)
corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
lettuce (shredded)
cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
tomatoes (chopped)
lemon or lime wedges (optional)
Directions
Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary
and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary. Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
This recipes makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
Taco Seasoning:
4.5 tsp. paprika;
1 tsp. cumin powder;
0.5 tsp. oregano;
1 tsp. chili powder;
1 tsp. onion powder;
0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
1 tsp. salt;
1 tsp. sugar;
0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
1 tsp. flour;
0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild.

Italian Lentil & Squash Stew
1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, rinse in a mesh strainer
1 small butternut squash (1 1/4 lb.) peeled, seeded and cut in 1" chunks (about 3 cups)
2 cups marinara sauce; home cooked or jarred (be sure the sauce does not have sugar)
8 ounces green beans -- ends trimmed and cut in half (2 cups) (frozen is fine, though I use frozen chopped spinach
1 medium bell pepper -- cored cut in 1" chunks
1 large potato -- peeled and cut in 1" chunks
3/4 cup onion -- chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
Mix lentils and 3 cups water in a 3-quart or larger slow-cooker. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except olive oil; place on lentils. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until the vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in the oil if desired. Serve in soup plates or bowls.

Veggie Irish Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion -- chopped
1 1/2 cups baby carrots -- halved lengthwise (or cut, regular carrots)
6 small white potatoes -- baby or miniature if available, halved or quartered (I love those yukon golds!)
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 1/2 cups cannellini beans, cooked -- (1 can) drained and rinsed (or your own cooked, dried beans)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup dry white wine (I use Guinness, of course)
2 tablespoons tamari or braggs or soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 large kale leaves -- or other dark leafy greens, chopped, cooked in simmering water to cover until tender, and drained
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes (I do this in the crock, on high). Transfer the onions to a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add the carrots, potatoes, garlic, beans, stock, bay leaf, wine, tamari, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the cooked kale. Serve hot.

Indian Spinach and Tofu CrockPot Recipe
The Ingredients.
--2 boxes of frozen spinach, drained (I used one chopped frozen cauliflower, and one chopped frozen broccoli;)
--1 lb of extra firm tofu
--1 yellow onion, diced
--3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves
--1 can garbanzo beans, drained, or 1-1/2 cups home cooked
--2 inches of ginger, peeled and grated
--1/2 tsp kosher salt (and then more later to taste)
--1 tsp cumin
--1 tsp curry
--1 Tbl coriander
--1/2 tsp chile powder
--1/2 tsp garam masala
--1/2 cup water
--cornstarch (to coat the tofu)
--Earth Balance or coconut oil or olive oil (to fry the tofu)

The Directions.

Use a 3 or 4 quart crockpot. Drain your tofu. Squeeze it in between some paper towels or a clean dish cloth if need-be to get as much of the liquid out as you can. Cut it into 1-inch cubes and toss it with corn starch. Fry in butter until golden brown--resist the urge to flip; tofu takes a while to brown. While the tofu is browning, squeeze out all of the moisture from the spinach and dump it into your crockpot. Dice up the onion, and mince the garlic. Add that, too. Drain your garbanzo beans, and pour them in. Add all of the spices. Stir in 1/2 cup of water. Add the tofu to the very top of the spinach. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. This doesn't take very long to cook. Serve over rice, and scoop up with whole wheat naan, whole wheat pitas, or whole grain tortillas.

Sweet Potato Burritos
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (I use home cooked black beans; you can use any bean)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
shredded cheese (whatever you have)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic in until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat,
and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve. NOTE: I put the cheese inside and freeze burritos wrapped in wax paper in a big zipper bag; they can be microwave safely in the paper.

Southwest Falafel

Patties

1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed) (any bean, canned or 1.5 cups home cooked
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Spread – I don’t use this part; I mash an avocado with salsa and fat free yogurt (Greek-style is best)
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (6 inch) pita's, each cut in half crosswise – I use 4 whole wheat tortillas
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a lg nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 min on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place one patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of spread over patty in each pita half.

Sloppy JoJos in the crockpot
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 celery stalk diced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (if you have sensitive skin, wear gloves)
1 red or green pepper, seeded and diced
2 tsps. chili powder
1/2 tsp. allspice
1-1/2 cups brown lentils, rinsed (not red lentils)
14-1/2 oz diced tomatoes (I use muir glen fire roasted, if I have them)
3 cups water or vegetable broth
2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce or tamari or braggs
1 tbsp. prepared yellow or brown mustard
1 tbsp. sugar to cut the acid
1 tsp. salt or to taste and add at the end of cooking.
Fresh pepper to taste (I use cayenne pepper)
Heat the oil in a skillet (I do this all in the crockpot) and saute the onion, celery, jalapeno pepper, and red or green pepper and chili powder for a few minutes until onion and celery are tender but still firm. Transfer the mixture to the crockpot. Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, soy sauce, mustard and sugar. Add pepper. Stir. Add the salt at the end, this
keeps the lentils from taking long to cook and becoming tough. Cover the crockpot, set it on low and cook for 7-8 hours. Or 1 hr on high and 6-7 on low. Serve on whole wheat buns and have a lot of napkins.

Robin in Chicago

MammaNature
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Wow, thank you sooo. much! You got me hungry even though i just ate a while ago.big smile mini 

Those are recipes i was lookin into. Are you currently vegetarian? HOw long if so? Once again i appreciate the help and your time!

Ruby Quintanar

Work From home!!!

lphill
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Not a vegetarian but I LOVE veggies. We make ratatoullie alot. alzo grilled zuchinni and squash and stuffed zuchinni and squash. make a rice stuffing with tomatos, grated carrots, ect. yummy!

busybees124
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Here's some of what I make----

Potato Leek Soup  (My son and hubby make this and I can't find their recipe.  This online version is very close!  We have with crusty bread....it's VERY filling!)

3 tablespoons butter
3 leeks, thinly sliced*
1 medium or large onion, chopped
6 - 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced**
3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes) Substitue vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste

hubby and son also put shredded cheddar in bowl on table so we could melt some on our individual helpings of soup. 

1) Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then add onions and leeks. Cook, stirring, until onions are limp and just slightly brown.

2) Add sliced potatoes to saucepan then pour in enough chicken broth to just barely cover the potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reached. As you mash the potatoes and the soup thickens, turn down heat and stir frequently with a large spoon to prevent scorching on the bottom.

3) Add one cup of heavy cream (or more if you desire) and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and serve.

Notes: *Make sure to clean leeks thoroughly and slice only the white and light green part of the leeks. **You don't need to peel the potatoes as the peels add to the rustic texture of the soup. But make sure to scrub them thoroughly and remove any obvious blemishes before slicing. Although we always make it with chicken broth, this can easily become a vegetarian soup by simply using vegetable broth instead.

Veggie Lasagna

9-10 noodles

2 beaten eggs

2C cottage cheese

1 15oz. carton ricotta cheese

2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (I just add parsley, oregano, basil to my taste)

2C sliced fresh mushrooms

1C chopped onion

4 gloves garlic, minced (I use fresh garlic...i love garlic but only use 2)

2TB olive oil

2TB AP flour

1tsp black pepper

1 1/4 C milk

1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained

1 10 oz package frozen broccoli, thawed and drained

1C shredded carrot

3/4C parmesan cheese

1C shredded mozzerella

Cook lasagna noodles, set aside. Combine eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta and seasoning in bowl. In skillet, cook mushrooms, onion, garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in flour and pepper, add milk all at once. Cook and stir til thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, boccoli, carrot and 1/2 C parmesan.

In greased 3 quart rectangular baking dish layer one third noodles, spread with one third cheese mixture then one third veggie mixture. Sprinkle with one third mozzerella. Repeat layers. Top with remaining parmesan.

Bake uncovered in 350 oven for 35 min or til heated through. Let stand 5-10 min before serving.

busybees124
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Stuffed Zucchini

6 medium zucchini (green summer squash)

1 slightly beaten egg

1 1/2 C bread crumbs

1/2C shredded cheddar or parmesan

1/4 C finely chopped onion

1 TB fresh parsley

salt and pepper to taste

In large pot cook whole zucchini, covered in boiling lightly salted water for 5 min.  Drain and cool slightly.  Cut lenghtwise slice off top of each zucchini, remove pulp with a spoon, leaving about 1/4 inch shell. 

Chop pulp (use 2C or however much you want).  Stir the egg, bread crumbs, 1/4C of cheese, onion, parsley, and s + p into the pulp. Fill shells with mixture. Place in shallow baking pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 min, sprinkle remaining cheese and bake for 5 more min.

MammaNature
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM

sounds good! will you share the recipe love , sure would like to try them out.

Ruby Quintanar

Work From home!!!

MammaNature
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Geez  you guys,  THANK YOU. My family's gonna be happy this next week. blowing kisses

I'm new to cafe mom and what a response, you guys are sooo. suportive and willing to help out. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!  ill let everyone know how the dishes come out.

Ruby Quintanar

Work From home!!!

rkoloms
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Quoting MammaNature:

Wow, thank you sooo. much! You got me hungry even though i just ate a while ago.big smile mini 

Those are recipes i was lookin into. Are you currently vegetarian? HOw long if so? Once again i appreciate the help and your time!

We are vegetarian; I have been for most of the last 30 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)