Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone make their own bread?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 211 Total Views

I have been wanting to make my own bread instead of buying it in the store. Not only is it cheaper, but it's also healthier. A few months ago I tried making my own, I tried a couple of recipes, but the dough never wanted to rise and it never turned out. I thought about purchasing a bread maker but I know they can be expensive. Does anyone have an easy recipe or does any one know a good bread maker they can recommend? Thanks for your help!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaAlderman_2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM

The reason Your bread doesnt rise is You are not using Fresh Yeast. Or your water is too warm. I will give you mine when I make it by hand. Also if you want a bread machine check your Freecycle that is how I got mine.

5 3/4 to 61/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 package active dry yeast

2 1/4 cups milk

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl combine 21/2 cups flour and the yeast; set aside in a medium sauce panheat and stir milk sugar butter and salt just until warm and butter almost melts. add milk mixture to flour mixture beat with a electric mixer on low to med for 30 sec. scraping sides of bowl constantly beat on high for 3 min. using wooden spoon stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can

Turn Dough out onto a lightly flowered surface Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make moderately stiff dought that is smooth and elastic(6 to 8 minutes) shape dough in to a ballplace in a lightly greased bowl turining once to grease the surface. cover let rise in a warm place until double in size (45-60 minutes)

Punch dough down turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface divide in half cover let rest 10 min. mean while lightly grease two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans

Shape dough halves by patting or rolling to 12x8 rectangle. Roll up each retangle start from short side. seal the seams with your finger tips

Place shaped dough halves in prepared pans cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size (30 to 40 minutes)

Bake 375 oven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped (if necessary , cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of backing to prevent over browning) Immediately remove bread from pans cool on wire racks

I hope you like it

anita 

HuskerAmber
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Thank you Anita, I will have to try this soon!! I think the yeast I bought was instant yeast. Would Wal mart or any regular grocery store carry the yeast you use?

blackbirdsings
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM

hi, i've been making all our bread for quite awhile now and for the same reasons as you stated. i bought our breadmaker at our local swapmeet for ten dollars, so look around in your area, you can try goodwill, craigslist, ebay, etc., they don't have to cost alot. i have been adding vital wheat gluten, 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon per cup of flour, and it keeps the bread softer, and it doesn't dry out as quickly;  none of my homemade bread gets wasted since i've been adding the vital wheat gluten, and i just found it at walmart last time i was there, yeah! i hope you can start making your own bread, either by hand or breadmachine, it is one of the best things i do for my family!  puppy 

MamaAlderman_2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I use instant Yeast store it in the fridge it keeps it fresh longer.

Quoting HuskerAmber:

Thank you Anita, I will have to try this soon!! I think the yeast I bought was instant yeast. Would Wal mart or any regular grocery store carry the yeast you use?

ACV2529
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hello! I make our bread all the time.  If you would like great recipes, go to www.kingarthurflour.com.  They not only have the best flour, but they also have great recipes.

To make sure your yeast is active, you need to test it.  When you add the warm water to the yeast and sugar you should see bubbles appear all over the top after about 5 minutes or so.  If you do not then either your yeast is bad or you've put too warm or too cool water in.  If you don't see the bubbles, toss it and start over rather than wasting the flour, etc.

Also, your bread needs to rise in a warm environment.  If it's too cold or too hot it won't rise properly.  I generally put it in a sunny spot to rise or, in the winter, warm my oven just a tad and then pop it in there to rise, always with a wet warm towel over the top.

Hope this helps!

Alie

Wonderbaby254
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Everyone has some great suggestions/ recipes here.   We also make our bread...I'm making some today. 

Something I will share with you is this....the more you bake bread at home, the better it will taste each time you make it.  Mainly becuase of the active yeasts in the air.  The more bread you make the more airborne yeasts fill the air....the better the next batch...this cycle is a good one.  

Second, invest in a good kitchen scale.  Pretty much any professional bread baker you run into, will advise you to weigh out your measurements vs using cups of this or tsp/tbls of that.  

We've learned the difference this makes in the past two years we've been doing this.   Another good site for bread recipes is Recipezaar.com.  

We have a killer whole wheat white bread recipe that we've been tweaking over the past year and we make about 4 loaves a week for our family.  It's sounds complex, but it's easy if you do your premeasurements first.  If you want it, contact me back.  Not everyone is into whole wheat white..  But this is some of the softest bread with the white bread flavor and it's so healthy for you. 

Happy Baking! 

ACV2529
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Don't know about anyone else, but I would love the recipe!!  My husband begrudingly eats the whole wheat, but a white whole wheat (I have the flour here) would be excellent.  And I've got the scale, so we're good to go!

Wonderbaby254
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Hi, 

I had so many people asking for our Whole Wheat White Bread recipe after my reply that I wanted to post it for all to share. 

This recipe sound complex.  It's really not.  This is just the "detailed" submission we made for a contest.   This bread is awesome.  It never lasts long around here.  My suggestion to you is make up your premeasurements for your 3 stages below and set them aside in a plastic container.   Then when it's time to add more ingredients to the recipe it's not overwhelming.

Oh and one more note*  Using glass bread pans & weighing out your measurements makes the world of difference.   King Arthur has some great whole wheat white four, but we recently tried Trader Joes version and it works just as well. 

Happy Baking!

Whole Wheat White Bread (yield 2 large loaves)

SPOUNGE:
12 grams Bread Machine Yeast (or fast rising)
3/4 cup 115°F water (171 grams)
120 grams White Whole Wheat Flour
2 tablespoons honey (42 grams)
DOUGH:
1 3/4 cups 115°F water (410 grams)
240 grams White Whole Wheat Flour
34 grams Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk
60 grams Wheat Gluten Flour
12 grams fine sea salt
1/2 cup clover honey (168 grams)
1/4 cup canola oil (55 grams)
500 grams White Whole Wheat Flour
Canola oil spray & Crisco Shortening for greasing pans

UTENSILS/TOOLS:
Kitchen Aid 6 qt mixer w/ paddle, wisk & dough hook attachments.
2 – 9” x 5” Pyrex baking bread pans
1 cookie sheet to place the pans onto
1 Large 8qt ceramic bowl
1 10” ceramic plate large enough to cover both mixer bowl and ceramic bowl
1 large cooling rack
1 wire wisk & small bowl

DIRECTIONS:
Create sponge by using a KitchenAid Mixer with paddle and adding 12 grams yeast, 120
grams of White Whole Wheat Flour, ¾ cups (171g) 115°F water and 2 tbsp (42g) honey.
Mix until combined then cover KitchenAid bowl with ceramic plate and let it sit for an 1
hour in an 85°F draft free place (such as a warm oven), It should be bubbly.

Combine 240 grams White Whole Wheat Flour, 34 grams dry milk, 60 grams vital wheat
gluten, 12 grams sea salt in a small bowl with wire wisk.
Add ¼ cup (55g) canola oil, 1/2 cup (168g) honey, and 1 ¾ cups (410g) 115°F water to
the spounge. Slowly add mix from above until all is added. Mix together in KitchenAid
Mixer with paddle 1-3 minutes until combined.
After 1-3 minutes of mixing, slowly mix in remaining 500 grams White Whole Wheat Flour
adding approximately 30 grams at a time. Switch to dough hook when most or all of the
flour is added and add rest of flour (if necessary). Mix 1-3 minutes until all flour is mixed
in.

Knead 6-7 minutes in KitchenAid Mixer with dough hook. While kneading, grease both
ceramic bowl and plate with shortening.
Once the dough is kneaded remove from KitchenAid bowl and form dough into a smooth
ball and place in coated ceramic bowl and cover with the ceramic plate. Place in an 85°F
draft free place and allow to rise for 1 hour. The dough should be double in size.

During rising grease two glass Pyrex 9"x5" pans with shortening.
After rising place dough on a smooth surface and roll out air with rolling pin. Divide the
dough into 2 equal loaves (about 870-900 grams each) and roll each out on a flat surface.
Roll each up and form into 9" loaves and pinch seams to create smooth loaves. Place in
Pyrex pans and grease the tops of the loaves with shortening.

Put the loaves in an 85°F draft free place and let them rise for 45-50 minutes until the
loaves are an inch or two over the top of the pan. Let the loaves rise an additional 15-30
minutes at room temperature while the oven is preheating. The loaves should be at least
2 inches over the top of the pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees*. Bake for 35 minutes.
Take loaves out and remove them from their pans and cool on a cooling rack. After
cooling for 1 hour, spray lightly with canola spray to add shine and lock in flavor and
freshness.
Store in pantry up to 7 days or in freezer up to 2 months.
* Adjust to your oven's margin of error.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)