Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a good cake recipe

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1100 Total Views

Hi all,

Tomorrow is my DH's birthday and he LOVES homemade cake.  I don't really have any good recipes for cake.  He loves both chocolate and spice cake (with the cream cheese frosting).  Can anyone share a good cake recipe with me.  Even a yellow cake with a good chocolate frosting would be good.  Thanks in advance for saving me!

by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Joie_momx2
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM

CAKE:

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cup seedless prunes, cut in quarters
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

TOPPING:

• 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the prunes and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes up clean.

Meanwhile, combine all the topping ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a rack to cool slightly. Pierce the cake all over with a wooden skewer. Pour the topping evenly over the cake. Serve warm or cool.

My grandma made this for my dad who hates prunes. It is really good and if you don't tell him what's in it, he'll never know.. he he My grandma made it in a bundt pan.

Lilypie

Lilypie

Joie, wife of a brave Marine!

I'm a breastfeeding, anti-CIO, timeout, spanking when needed, baby wearing, rooming in, occasional co-sleeping, music playing kind of mom. And Proud of it.
Dove420
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM

NEVER - FAIL SCRATCH DARK CHOCOLATE
CAKE  

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. Hershey's cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans or one 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. In large mixer bowl combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Remove from mixer; stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes for round pans. 35-40 minutes for rectangular pan. Frost as desired, after cooling completely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very old Betty Crocker recipe my mom used to use.

White Mountain Icing

1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white corn syrup
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 cup egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat egg whites until stiff.

Mix sugar, syrup and water together in a saucepan.  Boil over medium high heat until syrup spins a 6" to 8" thread when you dip a spoon into it.   Do not leave unattended; it will burn easily. 

With beater running, pour syrup into the eggs in a very thin stream.  Don't rush; beat it steadily to stiff, glossy peaks.   Add vanilla extract or other flavorings or colors.

Frost cakes, cupcakes, use as filling for "jelly" rolls, or use in place of meringue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Variations: 

For cherry frosting, add a little maraschino cherry juice or red food coloring plus either 1 teaspoon cherry flavor or almond extract.  Decorate with halved Bing cherries or maraschino cherries.  
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon orange extract.  Tint light orange, and decorate with drained Mandarin orange slices and a little orange zest.
For Easter, cut a sheet cake into a rabbit shape; frost with white icing flavored with an added 1/2 teaspoon of coconut flavor and fuzz with shredded coconut for fur.   
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon pecan flavor or black walnut flavor; decorate with finely chopped nuts.
Add 1 teaspoon peach flavor and decorate with well-drained peach slices.
Leave a tablespoon of syrup in the pan and continue to cook until golden.  Add to hot icing, beating constantly, for a caramel flavor.  Sprinkle with a little toasted coconut flakes.
Tint pale pink and decorate with real roses and leaves.
Add 1 teaspoon mint flavor and tint light green.  Decorate with shaved bittersweet chocolate.
Add 1 teaspoon lemon extract, tint light yellow and dust with a little fine lemon zest.
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3/4 teaspoon chocolate flavor.  After icing the cake, make a few swirls with chocolate syrup and dust with shaved bittersweet chocolate, chocolate sprinkles, or stud with chocolate bits.
Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and decorate with a red-hot cinnamon candies.
Tint yellow, flavor with 1/2 teaspoon pineapple extract and decorate with candy corn for Halloween.
Tint pale lavender and decorate with colored sprinkles.  Add a ring of animal crackers for a circus cake.
Add 1 teaspoon rum flavor and top cake generously with chopped pecans and a light sprinkling of sieved brown sugar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whatever cake you make I'm sure he'll love it and tell him happy birthday.

Have a grandmalicious day!

SSMalone
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Take-Along Cake

1. 1 pgk Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Swiss Chocolate Cake Mix
  2. 1 (12oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips
  3. 1 cup miniature marshmallows
  4. ¼ c butter or margarine, melted
  5. ½ cup packed brown sugar
  6. ½ c chopped pecans or walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 Grease and Flour 13 x 9 in baking pan
  2. Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Add chips and marshmallows to batter.
  3. Pour into prepared pan. Drizzle melted butter over batter.   Sprinkle with sugar and top with pecans. Bake 45 to 55 minutes.  Serve warm or cool completely in pan. 

Make 12 to 16 serving

kyleskitchen
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Thanks everyone! 

joshbellamom
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I did that for my son's birthday, I made a red velvet cake which is basically a chocolate cake with red food dye to change the color red and I made homemade cream cheese frosting then I decorated it with those sweedish fish going along the cake.

sweetshipes
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 1:48 PM
I know its different but its the best fresh cool cake I have ever made!!!!
~Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe~
1 Yellow or white cake mix
3 Large Eggs
1/3 cup Vegetable oil
1 can Mandarin oranges, reserve the juice

~Icing~

1 large can Crushed pineapple and juice ( I can't have Pineapple I used can of peaches and blend them /w mixer)

1 large Vanilla instant pudding
1 (8 oz.)Cool Whip
1 cup Miniature marshmallows (optional)
Flaked coconut (optional)

Oven Temp ~ 350° Baking Time ~ 30 Min.
Pan Type ~ 9 x 13 inch glass baking pan or 2 (9 inch) round pans

Preheat oven, grease and flour pans.
Mix as directed on box adding oranges. Bake as directed.
When cake is still hot poke holes in top with fork, and pour the
Reserved orange juice over it.

Mix ingredients for icing and spread on cooled cake.

Refrigerate 1 hour or more and enjoy.
kyleskitchen
by on Aug. 1, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Oh my gosh that sounds WONDERFUL!  I will have to make that soon as I can find an excuse!  LOL 

Wonderbaby254
by on Aug. 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM

This is one of those old tymer recipes that my family uses all the time.   It's awesome and it's easy.   As Sandra Lee says:  It's semi homemade! 

Chocoalte Cherry Almond Cake

1 box Devils Food cake mix

1 can cherry pie filling

2 eggs

2 tsp almond extract.

Mix well by hand.  Bake in 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.   Frost with chocolate fudge frosting and garnish with slivered almonds. 

These are adorable in cupcakes too! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN