Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Need A Salad Recipe High in Iron

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:23 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 267 Total Views

My hubby needs to increase his iron intake due to a chronic illness. He loves salads. I am looking for a greean salad that is high in iron for him. Can anyone help me out?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sewmama1990
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I don't know of a salad but these food items have a pretty good amount of iron in them so if you make a regular salad and put some of these items in it, that should work!! Like baby spinach, chick peas (garbonzo beans), cashews, pumpkin seeds, raisins, broccoli, etc.....

Spinach

Chick Peas

Lima Beans

Pumpkin seeds

Watermelon

Raisins

Broccoli

Green Beans

Cashews

Watercress

Red Kidney Beans

snailor67
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:11 AM

You can make a spinach salad with fresh spinach and topped with sliced hardboiled eggs and crumbled cooked bacon and chopped fresh tomato. We use a homemade dressing.

Spinach salad dressing.

1 TBSP bacon drippings

1/4 C sugar

1/4 C vinegar

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Heat the bacon drippings and add the sugar stir to melt the sugar. Add in the vinegar and garlic powder and stir all together to make a thin syrup. Pour over Spinach Salad

RikkisMom920
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Is salmon high in iron?  I have this amazing bbq salmon salad, and it tastes great as well if you substitute baby spinach leaves for romaine lettuce.  Hope your husband feels better!

6 pieces salmon fillet; skin removed and salmon cubed
1/2 c. barbecue sauce
2 tsp. teriyaki sauce
3 tsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 head romaine lettuce
1/2 English cucumber, unpeeled, sliced in half moons
salt, pepper
2 T. lemon juice
sesame seeds for garnish

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk bbq sauce, teriyaki sauce, 2 tsp. oil, and garlic powder in bowl. Add salmon cubes and toss to coat. Place in single layer in pan and bake 10-15 min. Coarsely chop lettuce and combine w cucumbers. Season w salt and pepper. Toss w lemon juice and 1 tsp. oil. Place salmon cubes on top and garnish w sesame seeds.

NikkiMomof2grls
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM
I make this spinach salad and we love it, even my husband who's a picky eater. Make a bed of fresh spinach. Scatter some fresh sliced strawberries on top. Thinly slice a mild onion and scatter that over the berries. Pour some raspberry vinaigrette dressing (with poppyseeds) over it and toss lightly. Top it with toasted walnuts or candied walnuts. Sooooo good!
proudarmymom247
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 2:57 AM

We love a southwest salad I make. Mix baby spinach with romaine heart. Add black beans, kidney beans, fresh corn. Mix in sliced red onion, and diced red bell pepper. Mix with a southwest dressing, or ranch dressing mixed w/salsa. Top with crispy corn tortilla strips. Fresh Express makes a multi corn tortilla strip packaged that is really good.

proudarmymom24/7
JordieHavok15
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Add thinly sliced steak to your spinach salad, add kidney beans, or black beans, and then top with a southwest flavored dressing!

fruitypeb5
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM

i always make an enormous salad a keep it on the fridge. . . i call it kick ass salad..

it has baby spinach, broccoli, hard boiled eggs, tomato, red kidney beans, peppers and/or whatever else i have a craving for or just have around!  sometimes i put noodles or cheese in there, too.

Mommy2TwinGirls
by Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I make a salad with Baby Spinach, green onion, sunflower seeds, safflower oil, fresh lemon juice, and shredded cheddar cheese. Throw all of those ingredients in to taste, along with salt and pepper to taste and it is soooooooo delicious!

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
busybees124
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Calcium decreases iron absorbtion and Vitamin C increases iron absorbtion.  So drinking orange juice while eating the salad or putting vit. C rich foods like strawberries in the salad is a good idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)