Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In desperate need of some recipes!!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 419 Total Views

My DH and Dad decided to plant a garden in our backyard this year. Which is great...I have enjoyed it...but I need you ladies help with some recipes for cucumbers, tomatoes, banana peppers, & habanero peppers. I would love to make a salsa or some kind of relish. Maybe something I could put up for the winter also. Thanks so much for your help!!!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wintermom
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:34 AM

One of our favorite, and QUICK recipes for tomatoes and cukes is:

Sliced cucumber

Sliced, diced or halved tomatoes (slice Roma, dice larger, halve cherry/grape)

Thinly sliced onion

Miracle Whip to taste

Dill to taste

Toss veggies with MW and dill, chill until serving for the flavors to blend. Use less MW than you think is necessary, as the juices from the veggies thins it.

EAT
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I made this last night - it was really delicious.  You could make more of the salsa and serve as an appetizer.

Grilled Mexican Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salsa

serves 4 - 5

for chicken --
1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 pounds chicken tenders

for salsa --
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 cup kirby cucumber, chopped
2 1/2 cups tomato, chopped
juice of 1/2 of a lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, chopped and tossed with juice of 1/2 of a lime
salt and pepper to taste

cojita cheese, for sprinkling
tortillas
tortilla chips

In a small bowl combine the first 10 ingredients. Place the chicken tenders in a resealable bag and add the marinade. Seal and squish around the contents to mix well. Let chicken marinate for about an hour.

Heat a grill to medium high. While the grilling is heating, prepare the salsa. In a medium sized bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Set aside.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and and grill for about 4 - 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from grill and top with the salsa and the cojita cheese. Serve with tortillas and tortilla chips.

KittyGram
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

A former supervisor of mine gave me a recipe once upon a time.  This isn't her recipe, but it's close.  This stuff is GOOD!!!! 

SATARASH

Serves 4

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, cut coarsely

1 red sweet bell pepper

1 sweet green pepper

4 Italian plum tomatoes

4 whole tomatoes, you can skin and deseed them if you like

3 garlic cloves, minced fine

1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 teaspoon oregano

3-4 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

fresh ground pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Sauté onions and peppers until slightly tender.  The onions will be translucent. Add tomatoes (If you have none you can substitute whole stewed Italian plum tomatoes- a lg. can) Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook only 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened. You can eat this as a side dish alone, or over rice or meat. If you like it spicy add hot pepper flakes, or a small hot pepper.

KRYSTAL91181
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM

These all sound wonderful!!! Racheal Ray had a good one on her show yesterday!! I will try and look it up!!!

luckygirl77
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Thanks ladies...come them coming!!

rosessewing
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Check out this website!       www.eversave.com      have fun and enjoy!!!!!

Annie1961
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I can salsa every year with this recipe, it makes 24 pints, so adjust accordingly for what you want to make. It is on the hot side, but I think you could substitute your banana peppers for the chilies in the recipe and it wouldn't be so warm.

6 qt (about 36 large) tomatoes

2 c (about 4 medium) green tomatoes

4 c chopped onion

3 c combination of habernaro and chili (green & red) peppers

16 cloves garlic, minced

8 Tbs minced cilantro

8 tsp cumin

2 tsp salt

2 c cider vinegar

2 large green peppers, chopped

Optional - add tomato paste to thicken if too runny, mine usually is

Combine all in large cookr, bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars and process 20 minutes in boiling water bath.

desert1
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I freeze the chili peppers, either fresh/whole or I will boil them, seed them then blend. I place in small sandwich bags, just enough for different meals; ie salsa, chili con carne, etc and place all the bags in a large freezer bag and take out what I need during the year.

I do not know how to can tomatoes, but I have also boiled these, boiled and frozen them too. I do not think you can freeze a fresh tomato, but cooked yes.

proudarmymom247
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I can use the above info for all of my garden tomatoes. I was wondering how I can freeze them. I am going to make batches of marinara sauce, and freeze it in ziplock bags. Remember to peel your tomatoes before cooking them, the peels dont cook down and youl have bits of peel in every bite. I have a good recipe for cucumbers:

1/4 c rice vinegar, 1Tbl. fresh lime juice, 3Tbls. sugar, 1/2 teas. salt, 6 cucumbers, halved and cut into1/8 in. thick slices, 2 shallots, thinly sliced, 1/2 serrano or other fresh chili, thinly sliced.6 sprigs cilantro chopped.

combine all ingrs. up to salt. Mix well. Add cucumber, shallots, and chili if using, and cilantro. Toss gently and let stand 15 mins.

proudarmymom24/7
TheNaptimeChef
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Baked Tomatoes and Zucchini - so healthy and delicious!

Kelsey Banfield

The Naptime Chef

www.thenaptimechef.com

Twitter/@TheNaptimeChef

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)