Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone fry with Olive Oil?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 331 Total Views

Does anyone fry with Olive Oil?

How does the food taste? Is there anything you have to do special when using it to fry?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dimplz125
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I use it in all my cooking.  The big thing to remember when cooking with it is that olive oil loses it's 'goodness' when it heats up fast.  So, if you decide to fry veggies, etc., just to slow the break down process, add the olive oil to the raw veggies before putting them in the pan to cook.   

As for deep frying, I've only done it when making lumpia.  You can tell there's a bit of an olive flavor to it versus veggie oil, etc., but I've gotten so used to the flavor I don't really notice it any more.  

maggie13
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I am wanting to fry up some party wings that will be coated in flour. I havebeen told olive oil is good for you but the real reason is we found out that my husband is allergic to soy which is the basic ingredient in all the oil I have on hand except a bottle of olive oil.

I am not sure about deep frying as well but to make dinner I had planned ahead of time but now I need to make things with alternate oils.

musicgirl77
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I don't fry much anymore and usually use EVOO for everything EXCEPT frying, lol.  I use canola oil for frying.  EVOO has a really low point of smoke, making it hard to use for typical deep frying.  Now, pan frying, sometimes I have mixed it with the canola a few times when I was running low on one or other and it works just fine.   

bookdragon
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM

It's healthier then pretty much everything else, it's about the same as safflower oil. I use it in pretty much all my cooking & baking.

Good Luck,Take Care,Goddess Blessings.

Bookdragon

kk_bella
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I use olive oil to sautee, but I do not use it to deep fry anything. I love olive oil and use it most of the time, but I can still tell the difference.

If that's all you have on hand, try it.

keikco
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I use it to fry taco shells. since we switched from regular oil to evoo the shells taste better.

BunnyBlum
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM

It depends on your olive oil. extra virgin olive oil is usually best for adding flavor (salads, in place of butter on veggies/bread or meat, hummus), for higher heat applications you may want to use regular olive oil (its cheaper too) its got less flavor, but that is desirable for frying. if you want the flavor from EVOO, then you can garnish your food with it by adding a small amount after cooking is complete.

I keep 3 different types of olive oil on hand, most people just need 2, girls with Italian grandmas always end up needing that extra bottle!  LOL

nellie6977
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 10:16 AM

It is all about the Olive oil. I love that stuff. I use it for everything ( good thing I buy it at Costco $20.00 for a gallon) The only thing I do not use it for is deep frying. I have used it in the past but I prefer peanut oil for frying. OMG it makes french fries taste ridiculously fabulous. Once you try it you wont be able to stop. (sorry to the peanut allergy people:( )

Pregnancy ticker

livewell
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 11:45 AM

ROFL re Italian grandmothers...we were in Italy this spring and i brought back a gallon of oil from the family grove...talk about AWESOME FLAVOR! :)

Even though I don't have an Italian grandmother, I have been known to have 4 or 5 kinds if you include my homegrown garlic infused olive oil and hot pepper one...but we use canola in the deep-fryer, and DH uses the same for pancakes, but besides that we use olive oil and never cook above 'med' on the dial.

Quoting BunnyBlum:

It depends on your olive oil. extra virgin olive oil is usually best for adding flavor (salads, in place of butter on veggies/bread or meat, hummus), for higher heat applications you may want to use regular olive oil (its cheaper too) its got less flavor, but that is desirable for frying. if you want the flavor from EVOO, then you can garnish your food with it by adding a small amount after cooking is complete.

I keep 3 different types of olive oil on hand, most people just need 2, girls with Italian grandmas always end up needing that extra bottle!  LOL

pruden5956
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Yes...frying with olive oil is healthier than frying with just veggie oil (although I use both). I also cook with olive oil; it gives more of a fluffy flavor to cakes and brownies. It does not taste at all like olives...I know that was what I was afraid of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)