Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lasagna

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

Sorry if i didnt spell it right. But i know you ladies know what im talking about :) can anyone tell me how to make it and what ingredients i need.. My husband wants that for dinner but i have never made it before

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sharae
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Here is a recipe I use, it takes some time so maybe you can make it tomorrow.

Ingredients:

1 pound sweet Italian sausage
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:

1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

-Sharae, momma to Nathan and Emilee

peeps_marie
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Extra Easy Lasagna

3/4 lb ground meat

2 cups shredded mozzarella

3 cups spaghetti sauce any brand

6 dry lasagna noodles - does not have to be oven ready

1/4 cup water

15 oz ricotta cheese (you can use cottage if you prefer)

chopped onion

chopped bell pepper

Romano cheese - you can buy this mixed with the Parmesan or use an Italian blend shredded cheese which would also include the mozzarella

Parmesan Cheese

Brown ground meat, onions and bell pepper.  Drain.  Add spaghetti sauce.  Heat through.  Stir often.

In a 2 qt. oblong baking dish spread 1 1/2 cups spaghetti meat mixture.  Sprinkle with Ramona and Parmesan cheeses.  Top with 3 noodles, half the ricotta and half the mozzarella.  Repeat.  Top with sauce.  Slowly pour water inside dish edge.

Bake 375 degrees covered for 45 mins.  Uncover and cook 10 minutes more.  Let stand 10 mins.

nellie6977
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Do you cook the noodles before you bake?

Quoting peeps_marie:

Extra Easy Lasagna

3/4 lb ground meat

1/4 cup water

chopped onion

chopped bell pepper

Romano cheese - you can buy this mixed with the Parmesan or use an Italian blend shredded cheese which would also include the mozzarella

Parmesan Cheese

Brown ground meat, onions and bell pepper.  Drain.  Add spaghetti sauce.  Heat through.  Stir often.

In a 2 qt. oblong baking dish spread 1 1/2 cups spaghetti meat mixture.  Sprinkle with Ramona and Parmesan cheeses.  Top with 3 noodles, half the ricotta and half the mozzarella.  Repeat.  Top with sauce.  Slowly pour water inside dish edge.

Bake 375 degrees covered for 45 mins.  Uncover and cook 10 minutes more.  Let stand 10 mins.

Pregnancy ticker

jadevegas
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM

EASY LASAGNA

2 LBS HAMBURGER. COOK UNTIL DONE

9 LASAGNA NOODLES COOK ACCORDING TO PACKAGE

TO MAKE IT EASY ADD 1/2 TUB OF COTTAGE CHEESE,

1 CAN OF SLICED OLIVES

1/2 PACKAGE OF FROZEN BROCOLLI, AND 1/2 PACK OF FROZEN SPINACH THAWED

AND SAUTE 1 PACKAGE OF PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS.

I USE ALFREDO SAUCE BECAUSE WE DONT LIKE TOMATOES BUT YOU CAN USE EITHER THAT OR SPAGHETTI SAUCE. I MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER TO MAKE LAYERING EASY.

1 PACK OF MOZARELLA CHEESE SHREDDED.

LAYER NOODLES, WITH THE MIX AND CHEESE.

COOK AT 350 FOR APPROX 30 MINS OR UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED

peeps_marie
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Nope, that's how easy it is.

Quoting nellie6977:

Do you cook the noodles before you bake?

Quoting peeps_marie:

Extra Easy Lasagna

3/4 lb ground meat

1/4 cup water

chopped onion

chopped bell pepper

Parmesan Cheese

BunnyBlum
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 8:33 AM

The trick to great lasagna is using a lot of sauce. Most recipes call for such a small amount that the lasagna is sorta dry. My husband thought he only liked Olive Garden's lasagna until he had mine! People always ask us for the recipe, the credit goes to my nonie, God bless her, I miss her so much!

My recipe from my nonie

Sauce

(no time to make puree from scratch with 2 kids, I start with Contadina puree now)

1lb - 1 1/2lb ground turkey (we just love the taste, Ital sausage or beef work fine too)

2 - 28oz cans of tomato puree (most store brands are ok, Walmart's Great Value, not so good, my favorite is Contadina)

1 large white or Spanish (yellow, but NOT Vidalia) onion diced

8 cloves of garlic pressed(yes, really 8! they aren't too much if you follow the recipe though)

2 T Italian Seasoning

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/2 cup Olive oil (NOT EVOO, that is for flavoring, not for cooking, and its expensive to use in this way, use vegetable, canola, etc, if you have no regular olive oil)

Salt and Pepper to preference

The Rest!

1/2 box lasagna noodles (no boiling needed with this recipe)

1lb ricotta cheese mixed with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and 2 T Basil

1lb mozzarella cheese I use whole milk mozzarella and shred it myself, the bagged pre-shredded is ok too, but if you have time, the whole milk mozzarella is divine!)

Parmesan cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 350*

In a stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil (or "other" oil) allow to heat up and then add onions, stirring often, cook til transparent (about 7 minutes) and then add pressed garlicwith a little salt (brings out flavor more). Saute until garlic is about to brown and add the ground turkey (or "other meat") mix well and add about 1 1/2 cups of water and mix it very well (it will look gross, but you won't get big lumps of browned meat) cover and reduce heat to low/medium, stirring often, and cook until no longer pink (no need to drain). Add Italian Seasoning and mix well, then add in the tomato puree, mix well and cover and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. At this point get a couple teaspoons out and taste the sauce, then add salt and pepper to your liking. Then add the parmesan cheese and stir well. Turn down the burner to low and let the sauce slowly simmer for about 20 minutes. (You can add your other favorite veggies (peppers, mushrooms, etc) at the onion stage, my kids act like I don't love them anymore if I put anything but onions in ours)

Get a large 13x9 (cake type pans are too small) or an aluminum roaster pan (I buy them in bulk at Sam's) and put 2 cups of sauce in the bottom of the pan, top with the noodles (3 across is what we do) spread 1/2 the ricotta mixture over the noodles and top with 3 cups of sauce, cover sauce with some mozzarella, another layer of  noodles (3 across again), top with remaining ricotta, top the ricotta with 3 more cups of sauce, then another layer of mozzarella, then one last layer of noodles. At this point, I use ALL the remaining sauce on top (since the noodles are not pre boiled the extra sauce helps) and then top it with the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese.  Take a piece of heavy duty foil (or a double layer of regular foil) and spray in with Pam and cover the lasagna tightly. Place in oven for 40 minutes, then remove foil and allow cheese to get lightly browned and bubbly. (I usually increase the temp to 400 for this, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes, but keep your eye on it!)

Allow lasagna to rest for 1/2 hour before serving, I find its best made a day ahead of time, it tastes even better and stays together better. It sounds like a lot of work (I make 12 at a time!) You should see my sauce pot! LOL they freeze great) but its so good, and if you have a last minute potluck dinner, you will "WOW" the whole crowd!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)