Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a beef roast need to be thawed before going in the crockpot?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 720 Total Views

I do not have too many cookbooks. I am wondering if I can cook a beef roast in the crock pot without thawing it first. I forgot to take it out of the freezer last night. Are there any suggestions?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nattismom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:21 AM

hmmmmm how long do you plan on leavng it in the crock pot???

j9gem
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I've put frozen chicken in the crockpot before, it was the kind that you can cook from frozen.  Also, it wasn't so thick.  You'd have to have that roast in there for days to cook all the way through!

What's weird is I did a quickie google search on the topic and found lots of different answers.  From No Way!  to Sure, why not?  to Defrost in the oven at 450 first  and everything in between!

MommytoE522
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM

I've cooked a beef roast from frozen in the crockpot.  It takes the day, but it cooks.  Set it on high. 

roudybunch
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I always put my roast or chicken in the crockpot frozen and never had any problems.

bookdragon
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM

It's ok to put it in the crockpot frozen, I do it all the time. Just don't add a lot of water or broth, set it on low. Then about 2 in the afternoon add your veggies & some spices, if you're going to or just bbq sauce. Let it finish cooking. It should be ready to eat when it's time for dinner.

Good Luck,Take Care,Goddess Blessings

Bookdragon

singlemotherof8
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I always put my roast  in the crockpot frozen and tuen it on high. It is always ready when we get home from church. To me if you thaw it out it cooks to fast and possibly cook the water out. But it doesn't matter. I like doing my frozen that way if i do forget to take it out at least i know it will still be ready.

singlemotherof8

travswifey
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I have always thawed mine the night before, then cooked it all day in the crockpot til it just falls apart. yummy! I have never tried it frozen to the crockpot, but I am gonna try next time I make a roast for the hubs, which won't be until Dec. but, glad I saw this post. :)

I want to be your favorite hello
              and your hardest goodbye.

marinesJennifer & Travis 8-2-8

bakebiscotti
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 7:27 AM

I believe that the temp at which the crockpot works is too low for too long to thaw meat.  It could unsafe

allie711
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I am a little late but thanks for all the replys. I did go ahead and put it in frozen on high for about 5-6 hours and it turned out great. But it was just a small roast.

donda1002
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I always put my roasts in the crockpot frozen.  I start it as soon as I get up on High for an hour or so or while I'm getting ready.  Then I turn it on Low for the rest of the day.  It always comes out tender.  Was wondering, tho - do your roasts come out a little dry?  Mine do sometimes, even if I've added extra moisture.

Donna :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)