Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Place of Vengeance

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 176 Total Views

We have all visited this place at one time or another in our lifetime. We’ve all been hurt, we’ve been scorned, and yes, we have wanted to settle the score. Whether our pain is innocently inflicted during a miscommunication or a result of a deliberate act of meanness; an argument with your spouse, a misunderstanding between friends or a deliberate act of cruelty, whatever the source, the result is still the same. Venomous words and hurtful actions exact pain - physical, mental, and emotional pain - and if we’re honest, our first reaction is to retaliate. We seem to think that hurting someone in return will alleviate our own pain. 

God’s tells us in His Word not once but many times that “vengeance is mine.” He will fight our battles for us but we must trust Him to do so. 

Many of us are mothers and when someone hurts our children, we are willing to fight to the death to protect them. If we are that protective of our children, how much more protective is God of His children. Although it appears at times that He simply steps back and allows others to bombard us with their verbal attacks and other hurtful ways. People hurt us and then seem to slide by unscathed by their actions, but we must remember that God is the score keeper. We look at others that seem to prosper while they deliberately take from others or make others feel badly because they don’t measure up to their standards, and we wonder why the Lord doesn’t take action against them. It is His prerogative of when and if to take action against anyone. It is our duty to remain faithful to Him and stay the course. God will have the final word in all things! 

We mustn’t allow bitterness or jealousy to enter our hearts because of our hurt, although that is easier said than done. However, if we do allow bitterness to take root in our hearts, it will eat at us like a cancer. It will ruin our testimony; it will make us do things that we can never undo and utter remarks that can never be retracted. Once the words escapes the lips and pierce someone’s heart, the damage is done. We can apologize and may even win their forgiveness, but we are guilty of inflicting hurt upon others. 

As His children, we must step back and allow God’s will to be accomplished in all things, regardless of how unfair a situation appears to be. I’ve seen people die embittered and alone. For some it was because of the hurt they had endured at the hands of others; they decided it was better to live alone and harbor bitterness than to risk being hurt again. For others, they died alone because of the hurt they had inflicted; their friends and family had abandoned them. Either way, it was a very pitiful sight indeed. 

As a child of God, it is imperative that we strive to follow the great commandment as given in John 15:12, “
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” We do not want to be the recipient of God’s chastisement because of one brief moment of self-satisfying retaliation. Learn to forgive! 

Matthew 18:21-22
(21)
  Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
(22)  Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)