Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prek-k

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 1287 Total Views

Have any advice for prek-k please add here or if you need help in the area ask here.

by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katbeeny
by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I had been having some trouble with my 5 yr old son not wanting to do his writing. But then I started using little smiley stickers that he could place by his best letter. And that made it go a lot quicker and easier.  So for instance he writes 10 k's and then I help him decide which one is the best.

mclane5
by owner on Nov. 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Hannah loves the writting sheets from these two websites. The first she really loves cause there is a diff animal to go along with it. http://www.colormountain.com/  http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/

katbeeny
by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM

That 2nd website looks really good, Thanks for sharing! I like how you can print out your own writing sheets.

mclane5
by owner on Nov. 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I love doing it cause I can use it to teach her how to write her first and last name

delmeg10
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I know a lot of people say that preschool homeschooling is basically just playing. But, what are the major things that a preschooler should know prior to moving into kindergarten? My son has developmental delays, so he doesn't learn as easily as other 3 year olds do. I've been working on colors, shapes, letters, and numbers (1-10 is all he knows now). But is there anything else that he should know.

He can't write, he can't draw any shapes, he can't even hold a pencil or crayon properly. Any advice? Am I doing things wrong?

delmeg10
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I forgot to add. Luke can name all of his animals and knows the sounds they make. He also can name 90% of the alphabet just by seeing a letter. He is learning simple words like hi, dog, cat, clap by us using My Baby Can Read books and flashcards. He loves the flashcards.

mclane5
by owner on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Being that he is develpomental delayed I think it sounds like he is doing great. Work at his pace. Being 3 and knowing that much is great.

delmeg10
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Thanks mclane! I feel like sometimes neither him or I am really going to be ready for kindergarten. Hopefully things will get easier. :-)

Quoting mclane5:

Being that he is develpomental delayed I think it sounds like he is doing great. Work at his pace. Being 3 and knowing that much is great.

mclane5
by owner on Nov. 23, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I think k5 is scarry for everyone. Simply cause it is the ground work for the rest of their school lives. And you are teaching the most important thing reading. Even though they may not get it in kindergarden you have 12 years to tweek. I have never seen a 12th grader that does not know how to read.(except in cases of special needs). So try not to worry and have fun. Pretty soon he will be in highschool and you wished for things as easy as The Cat and the Hat.

katbeeny
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Before my son was able to write I would have him do things like pick dry rice out a bowl with tweezers. That helps gets their hands ready to hold pencils. And I would also let him draw letters in the rice with his fingers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)