Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st grade

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 677 Total Views

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM
hi. I have a son in 1st. He is a eager learner when it comes to math. Hates reading. We have tried everything we can think of to get him to read. Any ideas would be great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mclane5
by owner on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

appeal to him not to you. He may hate books most boys do. It is not what he reads but that he reads. So forget about him reading a syllabus that is someone's else idea. Try comic books. Scholastic has a book source of magaznies for kids that are cheap and very interesting.Do you remember being in school and geting those weekly readers and you could not wait to read them? Those were from scholastic. They also have lots of homeschool stuff. here is a website for them for 1st grade.

http://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/products/scholastic-news-nonfiction-readers

Quoting Moma3boyz:

hi. I have a son in 1st. He is a eager learner when it comes to math. Hates reading. We have tried everything we can think of to get him to read. Any ideas would be great!

Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Thanks. I will have to look into those.

Quoting mclane5:

appeal to him not to you. He may hate books most boys do. It is not what he reads but that he reads. So forget about him reading a syllabus that is someone's else idea. Try comic books. Scholastic has a book source of magaznies for kids that are cheap and very interesting.Do you remember being in school and geting those weekly readers and you could not wait to read them? Those were from scholastic. They also have lots of homeschool stuff. here is a website for them for 1st grade.

http://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/products/scholastic-news-nonfiction-readers

Quoting Moma3boyz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eeyore13
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have two boys in 1st.  They love all their subjects except having to write.  Even having to write a single sentence will cause them to shut down.  I think a big part of the problem is that all the other tasks are easy for them and they can complete them with little to no thought, but writing makes them really have to think.  I am trying the STARFALL approach, but does anyone else have anything that worked for them?

mclane5
by owner on Mar. 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I do not have a child in 1st. but being the owner of the group I try to answer every post. So with that being said......I have a suggestion.Have you ever tried Evan Moor books? It is called Take it to your seat. My kids enjoyed them. I may even have a few that you can have. Take a look at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Take-Your-Literacy-Centers-Grades/dp/1557997985

AubreyRed
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

My 6 yr. old boy is just going into 1st this year.

We use an eclectic style...I prefer the Charlotte Mason and Whole Hearted Learning styles...But I use anything that works for us.

I have a long history of homeschooling with my parents being in the ministry my whole life as a child. I'm very familiar with ABEKA, BJU, CLASS...etc.

starbeck96
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:03 PM

My daughter is in 1st grade.  She is 6 (she will be 7 in October).  We started back 2 weeks ago, but right now we are reviewing a few things.  The main 2 things we are working on are our special sounds and our addition/subtraction facts.  She had a really hard time with the math facts.  so, I bought the combintation dot cards to teach her using those.  She is learnign them much better.

We use Abeka but do not use DVDs or streaming.  I teach everything.  The only thing we don't use for Abeka is Science and History.

I also have twin boys that are in 10th grade.  We use different curriculums for them.  This is only our 2nd year so we are still trying to learn what works and what does not.

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM

My boys (8,6,4) love to read (the youngest will sit and look at the book and sometimes "tell" the story and say he is reading). We are going to use Ambleside Online for the first time this year and there is a lot of good reading.  I have always read to them and continue to do so but sometimes what inspired them to read more on their own was starting a really good book with them (they like adventure stories and we have read Boxcar Children, Magic Tree House, and Christian Liberty Press Nature readers, to name a few) and then of course I have to fix lunch or dinner and they want to keep reading so it takes off from there.  My oldest was surprisingly into non-fiction so he would check out a lot of biographies and history books in the children's section. My 6 y/o started to read early and is into dinosaurs now but he goes through different phases. Sometimes I will pick books for them but mostly they pick their own and they are usually educational choices so I'm fine with that.  There are a lot of "fun" easy beginner readers you could probably check out from your library and see if he's interested in those. Good luck!

energygirl
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this

In the sonlight lang arts curriculum there was a section about how it is not uncommon for some kids to be closer to age 7 before reading really takes off.....hang in there......I don't think your situation is that uncommon and from what I have read....it doesn't mean he won't like reading later...or be strong in it.  in Finland kids do not even start school until age 7...and yet their reading levels pass up the US by a LOT! The difference (the research I read) stated that kids there are read to a lot more when they are young.....and given more time to "be a kid".

I don't want to "downplay" the importance of the curriculum and work....but if you keep reading to him a lot...that will help his vocabulary grow (and his love for books) so that when he is more ready or excited he might take off with it then.
oahoah
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM

My 6 y/o is slightly above-grade level, we started using Heart of Dakota Little Hearts for His Glory, it is a little slow for him and ds is getting bored.  For math he works on Dreambox Learning and is nearly done with 2nd grade.  I have also incorporated some reading from Ambleside Online as I am wanting to do more of a Charlotte Mason homeschool. We belong to a co-op and they are using Apologia Astronomy and Notgrass for History.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)