Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many of you work or work from home

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 395 Total Views

I feel very strongly that God is wanting me to homeschool my daughter.  She will be in kindergarten.  My boys are in public school.  They will be starting 9th grade.  I wish I could homeschool them, but DH does not want to pull them out at this stage.  Anyway, one of the things that is worrying me is our finances.

I have an associate degree in accounting and was planning on going back to school after DD went to school to get my bachelors.  My plan was to get a nice paying job or be able to work in the school system.  lWell, that changed after God began convicting me to homeschool my daughter. 

I am still worried about me not being able to work to bring home an income.  My boys are very active in sports and that is one reason why I have not went to work sooner.  Some of their games are at 3:00 and are sometimes an hour away.  We agreed that it was best if one of us was always around to be supportive of them. 

My husband is also in school.  He is planning on getting his Master's degree in Art education/art history.  He is self employed in drywall which works great so he can take classes when they are offered without worrying about losing his job.  The down side is that we've had to go on food stamps to survive.  So I am dealing with guilt about being on food stamps and wanting to homeschool my daughter. 

We do realize that being on foodstamps is only temporary.  We have been on them for about 2 1/2 years.  We had to get them when DH hurt his knee and had surgery.  Our plan was to only take them for no more than a year.  Well, then the economy bottomed out and it was all we could do to keep our power on. 

Sorry for rambling..lol.  I have been looking for jobs that I can do from home.  I want something legitimate.  I don't have to make a killing, just enough to fill in the gaps.  I was subbing for some extra income, but I can't do that anymore if I homeschool.  So, if there are any of you out there who work from home I would love some advice..thanks.

by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Moma3boyz
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM
I work. My hubby became disabled. I dont think there its a thing wrong with taking good stamps IF you need them. We are on them. It was a hard decision to make but when it came down to buying food or keeping power on, we had to. We also are working on becomeing more independent and we are getting closer everyday. Any way the nice thing about homeschooling is the flexibility. If you ned to homeschool in the evenings you can. I work afternoons and mornings so we do school a different time dang near everyday. It works for us though. Just stock with Gods plan and he wil make sure everything works out like its supposed to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Moma3boyz:

I work. My hubby became disabled. I dont think there its a thing wrong with taking good stamps IF you need them. We are on them. It was a hard decision to make but when it came down to buying food or keeping power on, we had to. We also are working on becomeing more independent and we are getting closer everyday. Any way the nice thing about homeschooling is the flexibility. If you ned to homeschool in the evenings you can. I work afternoons and mornings so we do school a different time dang near everyday. It works for us though. Just stock with Gods plan and he wil make sure everything works out like its supposed to.

Thank you.  My husband's work has finally started to pick up but we can't guarantee that it will stay this way.  He can't really get a job working anywhere with certain hours because he never knows when his classes will be offered and at what times.  Many of his classes are only offered during the day.  So, when he starts back in the fall, he will basically work 3 days a week and go to school 2 days. 

I have been looking for online jobs that will use my accounting degree but I've not had much luck.  Everything either required a 4 year degree or 1+ years experience. I wish I could find just a part time job to get some experience. 

mclane5
by owner on May. 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not have a paying job. I am a preachers wife. My job never ends.

starbeck96
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Quoting mclane5:

I do not have a paying job. I am a preachers wife. My job never ends.

I understand...and bless you.  My dad is a pastor and I know how hard it can be sometimes for my mom.

I know how hard it will be for us if I go to work.  When I sub a few days a week, the house seems like it doesn't run right..lol. 

We are still praying about this though.  We are leaving it up to God. 

Thank you.

j9latulippe
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

There are so many options for you. I have an in-home preschool that I do only 9-11:30.  My friend has a booming home cleaning business.  You could research online marketing jobs, also the WAHM group has tons of people who are successful in network marketing jobs.  I hope you find what you are looking for and I think that if you feel that God is calling you to do this then you should do it sooner than later!

starbeck96
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Quoting j9latulippe:

There are so many options for you. I have an in-home preschool that I do only 9-11:30.  My friend has a booming home cleaning business.  You could research online marketing jobs, also the WAHM group has tons of people who are successful in network marketing jobs.  I hope you find what you are looking for and I think that if you feel that God is calling you to do this then you should do it sooner than later!

Thank you.

We live in a small town and a preschool would be very hard to get started.  My sister just re-opened her daycare a few months ago and she has just now been able to get her 3rd child.  I would also have to get state licensed which is a lot of trouble here.

I will check out the WAHM group.  Thank you.

gabbysmom360
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I am new to homeschool. Going ot homeschool my precious daughter who is 5. I have two grown boys who didnt homeschool.. and I wish I did. But they are doing great. Anyway. I work as a admin assistant mostly from home. I work for a great lady who is awesome about me being mommy first. I work 15 to 25 hours a week.

starbeck96
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

That is wonderful!  I wish I could find something like that.  We live in a small town and work from home opportunities around here are very slim.

I know what you mean about wishing you had hs.  My boys are 14 and I wish that I had started them out homeschooling.  Now they will be in 9th grade and don't want to HS because they wouldn't be allowed to play sports.  My husband doesn't want me to pull them out either.

Thank you..

Quoting gabbysmom360:

I am new to homeschool. Going ot homeschool my precious daughter who is 5. I have two grown boys who didnt homeschool.. and I wish I did. But they are doing great. Anyway. I work as a admin assistant mostly from home. I work for a great lady who is awesome about me being mommy first. I work 15 to 25 hours a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)