Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We officially started our homeschool adventure! PIOG

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 591 Total Views

I started homeschooling my 5 year old daughter Monday.  We only spent about 20 minutes working on our vowel sounds and working on our weekly Bible Verse since we had a lot going on Monday.  She did really good.

Yesterday we continued reviewing the vowels and sounds.  We also began writing the letter I and the number 1.  We are using the Abeka K4 right now but we are kind of doubling up on some stuff since she knows a good bit of it.  My goal is to start with the K5 by August (around the time the boys start back to school).  We also worked on our Bible verse (from Abeka also).  Romans 3:23. 

Today we reviewed vowels and sound and added the letter T.  Then we worked on adding the letter T with the vowels and making blends.  She had a little bit of a hard time, but that is ok because that is a hard concept.  We will work on this alot before we move on.  She wrote the number 1 and 2 and also the letter I.  I also found out that she does know what the numbers 11-19 look like.  I didn't realize that she knew those..lol.  So we started with number 20 recognition today.  We glued 20 cheerios to a piece of construction paper and we also glued an igloo to a piece of construction paper with the letter I on it.

It went pretty good.  Writing is probably the hardest thing by far.  She does not really enjoy it that much, so I am trying to keep it under 10 minutes...As long as she recognizes numbers/letters the writing will come along.  It doesn't really matter to me how long it takes just as long as she is happy.

She is wanting to learn about butterflies.  So, I hope that one day this week we can go to the library to check out some books about butterflies.  My husband and I share a vehicle so that can be a problem...lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with everyone how it was going.  Tomorrow after she writes the letter I, I think we are going to use the cheerios or cotton balls to make the letter I..Maybe that will help..lol.

by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarahsmommy1008
by Head Admin on May. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Sounds like a good start!

We just did a lapbook study on butterflies - if she likes videos, there is a Wild Kratts video my daughter liked that teaches them about the Monarch life cycle and migration, there's also an app that shows the butterly life cycle - there's also a ton of resources online. If I can help just ask - have fun!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

Sounds like a good start!

We just did a lapbook study on butterflies - if she likes videos, there is a Wild Kratts video my daughter liked that teaches them about the Monarch life cycle and migration, there's also an app that shows the butterly life cycle - there's also a ton of resources online. If I can help just ask - have fun!!!

Thanks!!

What exactly are lapbooks?

Sarahsmommy1008
by Head Admin on May. 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

This was our first lapbook, so I'm not an expert.  It's sorta like a scrapbook?  It's putting everything the child is learning in a folder/binder so that they can refer back to it.  It has pockets, flaps, books, accordion books, cards, etc. 

Here's what our first attempt at lapbooking looks like - it's about butterflies

Top:  a pocket with butterfly life cycle sequencing cards Bottom: a book of butterfly food sources

Top:  Butterfly part identification, dot to dot Bottom:  tracing

Monarch butterfly migration route (based on the Wild Kratts video)

Top:  a book on the Life Cycle of a Butterfly Bottom: pocket with an accordion fold book of predators

starbeck96
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

cute!!!

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

This was our first lapbook, so I'm not an expert.  It's sorta like a scrapbook?  It's putting everything the child is learning in a folder/binder so that they can refer back to it.  It has pockets, flaps, books, accordion books, cards, etc. 

Here's what our first attempt at lapbooking looks like - it's about butterflies

Top:  a pocket with butterfly life cycle sequencing cards Bottom: a book of butterfly food sources

Top:  Butterfly part identification, dot to dot Bottom:  tracing

Monarch butterfly migration route (based on the Wild Kratts video)

Top:  a book on the Life Cycle of a Butterfly Bottom: pocket with an accordion fold book of predators

mclane5
by owner on May. 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I have also put them in the shower and let them fingerpaint on the walls. After they were finished it just washed off.I use color mountain for printing sheets. My 5yr old loves it.

starbeck96
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quoting mclane5:

I have also put them in the shower and let them fingerpaint on the walls. After they were finished it just washed off.I use color mountain for printing sheets. My 5yr old loves it.

I love the paint in the shower idea!!!  that is cool!!

I will have to check out that website.  My daughter doesn't really like to color, but I may can find some pages that I can glue to our alphabet pages.

mclane5
by owner on May. 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

no they are writing sheets on the website

starbeck96
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Quoting mclane5:

no they are writing sheets on the website

Oh ok.  I will definitely have to check it out...thanks.

Sarahsmommy1008
by Head Admin on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM
If you are looking for for an app, I just saw on fb this app is free right now - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/butterfly-hd/id523544128?mt=8
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

If you are looking for for an app, I just saw on fb this app is free right now - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/butterfly-hd/id523544128?mt=8

Thank you.  I don't have an ipad or anything right now, but thanks..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)