Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beginning this fall....

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 700 Total Views

Hey everyone!

My husband and I have decided that homeschooling is going to be the best choice for our two daughters. I am going to be starting this fall with my girls who will be in kindergarten and 1st grade.

My oldest daughter went to public school this year, we live in Florida and she learned a lot of stuff! (Some stuff she was learning I remember learning when I was in 2nd grade!)

Where I am struggling is should I start teaching them both the same stuff or continue on two different paths? My 5 year old cannot read yet but she knows how to write, knows her numbers, colors, etc.

Starting out can be a little scary, I have looked over the laws in Florida and have talked with a few friends who have homeschooled for years, I would appreciate any additional comments!

(We are also still researching the best curriculum to start with as well).

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mclane5
by owner on May. 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My Fathers world and sonlight combines grades. Either way is fine if you teach seperate or together.

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Hi & welcome! I'm fairly new to this as well with 3 boys, 7, 5, 2. 

I have been struggling with how to organize things so my oldest doesn't get 'stuck' doing K work or even pre-school type stuff.  But I recently came across KONOS at a yard sale and although I'm still reviewing it, I am really thinking this may work for all 3 of my boys.  I'm experimenting with different schedules throughout the summer. I have subscribed to Dreambox Learning for my oldest to do his math (it is expensive but I got a full year for the 6 month price thanks to www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/, which is free to join).  We have tried free trials with Reading Eggs and ABC Mouse and I really loved those and credit them to helping my 5 y/o read!  We also have a ton of workbooks ranging from preschool to 3rd grade. Although, honestly, these have been primarily untouched.

For me, the thought of having 2 entirely separate curriculums to plan & prepare for is too overwhelming (not to mention the busy-work for my youngest).  I know a few moms with 4+ kids who have stuck with the same curriculum all throughout because it is easy for them and their kids all learn the same things at different levels;  One I've heard about is Tapestry of Grace, another is Sonlight.  I was seriously considering Sonlight but it just isn't in our budget. 

If nothing else, you could start out trying to teach them the same in certain subjects but add extra work for your older daughter so that she is still learning at her level or above.  Good luck!

Glassermom
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I have four girls , I am going to use heart of  Dakota this your . It is a lot like Sonlight and my fathers world. What I like about it is we can do the same science , ss , Bible, and do math and English in different grades.  I also like the price.  Good luck with your first year. Oh and their books go by age and not grade.

FLORIDAmom850
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I am new to home schooling and we also live in Florida.  I have a 1st grade and a 3rd grader. They are a little bit behin so we are homeschoolong for more one on one learning.  It depends on what your beliefs are.

christian homeschooling ex cirriculums:(Sonlight) or (Tapestry of Gace) or just regular textbooks nothing to do with chritianity.  i am doig both.b  Tapestry of grace then math, science and art.

Lstanford24
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I am going to go with My Father's World curriculum and then sign up with a coop as well.... I want my girls to have a christian curriculum to learn from. I haven't heard of Tapestry of Grace, I may have to check them out for the future.

hcusa
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Anytime you can combine lessons with your children, I say go for it!  Once you get the hang of it, it's actually not very difficult to adapt materials for differing ages, even if the curriculum isn't particularly designed that way.  If you've considered notebooking, this works particularly well with multi-ages.

Believe me, doing this can be a lifesaver!  It's much easier to teach one science, for instance, than two or more.

Just FYI:  The Weaver Curriculum is another Christian curriculum made for more than one grade.  http://www.aophomeschooling.com/weaver/overview.php if you are looking for other options.  I can't really give a personal recommendation on it, because I always wrote/designed our curriculum myself, but here are some reviews for it: http://homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=362

KrissyKC
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I would combine them on a lot of subjects, and maybe do their language programs seperately until they are both reading fluently.  

Oh and, at those ages, I'd just play LOTS of games, have LOTS of educational computer programs, and tons of reading together and crafts.   My son learned a lot of his letter sounds from watching things like Super Y on PBS.    Focus on phonics and handwriting and math.    Everything else should just be fun and part-time.   Science, social studies, etc... they get used in these younger grades to just generate interest and to help with building the core skills...

For example, reading about animals... they can copy the names of the animals you read about in a handwriting notebook... or once their reading improves, have them read beginning reader books about whatever subject you are learning about in science.

Oh, and non-stop trips to the library and if possible, zoos and such.   Have them "journal" about each field trip in a notebook... (anyway they can or want... non readers can copy the word "Library" and the date at the top of the page and then draw a picture of themselves at the library or a picture of their favorite book or something.

Have fun... they are at such an incredibly fun stage to teach!!   There is time for more book-work and hard core studies when they get older!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)