Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help choosing high school curriculums

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 555 Total Views

My boys will be in 9th grade.  They have been attending PS up until now.  

I am thinking about using different curriculums to use for HS.  I have been looking at Switched on Schoolhouse, Lifepac, and Abeka.  I will use Abeka for health because I got a really great deal on Ebay.  I am very good in math and took pre-calculus in college last summer so I know that I woul be able to help them with their Algebra with no problem.  My weakest subject is Science.  I am not great in History either, but as long as I have a teacher's manual I would be fine. 

I would love to hear everyone's input.  Thanks.

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM

My son is getting ready for 9th grade. While I have been looking into curriculum for 2 years now, I still feel completely unprepared and not sure what to do. I'm worried about doing the wrong thing during these important years.

starbeck96
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Quoting rebeccasmly:

My son is getting ready for 9th grade. While I have been looking into curriculum for 2 years now, I still feel completely unprepared and not sure what to do. I'm worried about doing the wrong thing during these important years.

Yeah, I know what you mean!  This is our first year HS so it is very overwhelming.  I did finally decide though..

We decided to use different curriculums.  Here is what we are using for each subject:

Bible:  I think we are going to make our own

Abeka:  Algebra 1, World History, Health, English, Spelling, Vocabulary, Literature

Apologia:  Science

Rosetta Stone for Spanish I

I think that is everything.

rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I am pretty sure we are going to be using a mix of curriculum like we have all the other years. I am not 100% happy with whole curriculum. Mixing it up has worked for us so far. :-)

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Yeah, I know what you mean!  This is our first year HS so it is very overwhelming.  I did finally decide though..

We decided to use different curriculums.  Here is what we are using for each subject:

Abeka:  Algebra 1, World History, Health, English, Spelling, Vocabulary, Literature

starbeck96
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Thanks.

I was also able to buy alot from Ebay to save 100's of dollars since I mixed the curriculum. 

My daughter will be in Kindergarten (also HS) so this will be a very interesting year..lol.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I am pretty sure we are going to be using a mix of curriculum like we have all the other years. I am not 100% happy with whole curriculum. Mixing it up has worked for us so far. :-)

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting rebeccasmly:

mclane5
by owner on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I will be teaching 9th grade also next year. I will be doing My fathers world for Bible,English,and History. I will be using saxon math(which I think would be great for you also)and for science I will be using Rod and Staff and English(maybe). Foreign language i will be using Landmark freedom press.

mclane5
by owner on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

for PE we will be doing a video off of netflix

mclane5
by owner on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

also if you like a mix for not alot of money look at Christian liberty press.

wellsy
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM
I am no where near that point yet but have looked into it. I love My Fathers World for high school, everything I have seen about it I love. It is an all inclusive program for many subject similar to their younger grads but geared toward high school. I live that everything is from a Biblical viewpoint and they learn what God says first and how our history pertains to the Bible not the other way around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Thanks everyone.

We have finally ordered most of our stuff.  I ended up buying Apologia for Science and everything else from Abeka.  The only other thing I need is Spanish 1 and I am going to use Rosetta Stone for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)