Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 431 Total Views

Hi! I am april. i am new to this group. I know that i want to homeschool my kids( th oldest is only 2 right now). I was wondering if there were certain programs for different beliefs? or do you guys just incorporate your beliefs into a generic program? i have no idea where to start lol

busy mom

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Glassermom
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

If my opinion faith has a lot to do with my choice . We are using Heart of Dakota this year. It has a pre school program for 2 to 5 year olds . We wait until ,our kids are to 4 to start that. I feel they should stay little while they can . They learn so much just playing school , with the others kids.

smallfry3280
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

thank you :)

busy mom

__Heather__
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Faith plays an huge role in what curriculums I choose. There are plenty of curriculums out there that I eliminated solely because of disagreements with the content based on our beliefs. I also think that 4-5 is plenty early to start using a formal curriculum and if your oldest child is 2, you have more than enough time to prayerfully decide what's best for your family.

Wife to Nick - May 7. 2000    Homeschooling Noah (8) 3rd Grade

BJU Bible Truths, BJU Reading, BJU English, BJU Spelling, BJU Math, Mystery of History Volume 1, Apologia Elementary Botany, Handwriting without Tears 3 (cursive),Teaching Art to Children, Ready to Read Music, reading mounds of books and classical literature, group art classes, guitar lessons, soccer, and swimming

smallfry3280
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

thank you. i am thinking about asking my pastors to help me decide. they used to run a school at the church they ran before so they might can tell me what programs they used too.

Quoting __Heather__:

Faith plays an huge role in what curriculums I choose. There are plenty of curriculums out there that I eliminated solely because of disagreements with the content based on our beliefs. I also think that 4-5 is plenty early to start using a formal curriculum and if your oldest child is 2, you have more than enough time to prayerfully decide what's best for your family.

busy mom

KrissyKC
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Most curriculum is produced to be "generically" Christian or secular.    Many people from different actual church denominations use the same curriculums like Abeka, SOS, Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, etc...

I use a mix of secular AND Christian stuff.     For example, one publisher I use is Rod & Staff which is put out for the Mennonite schools... but I'm not Mennonite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN