Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

those teaching K, what are you doing this month? September 2012

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 458 Total Views

Figured I would make one post for the month and then revisit :)

So what are you ladies teaching your kids for K this month?

You can reply as often as you like about special projects or regular day to day things.

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aneela
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

i do reading and sight words with him everyday

aneela
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

i'm trying to do a math page everyday with him...1 to 20....simple addition and subtraction...we vary which books we use each day

aneela
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

we will be doing a special project on space this month ;)

mclane5
by owner on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This month is letters are:E,F,G,I,H,U,T,N,K,L,M,P,R,S,Q,J,V,W,Y,Z,X,TH.

Themes:I do the thems that I sent out in the newletter.

Math:Sorting and Classifying/Exploring patterns

Science:Living/nonliving,Relative position objects/3 of a kind/Classifying plants and animals

Circle time; Nursery Rhymes(on the theme list I sent),address,color(learning to spell them)seasons,weather,numbers (with calander),days of the week,months of the year,shape,

aneela
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

i will check out the newsletter :)

Quoting mclane5:

This month is letters are:E,F,G,I,H,U,T,N,K,L,M,P,R,S,Q,J,V,W,Y,Z,X,TH.

Themes:I do the thems that I sent out in the newletter.

Math:Sorting and Classifying/Exploring patterns

Science:Living/nonliving,Relative position objects/3 of a kind/Classifying plants and animals

Circle time; Nursery Rhymes(on the theme list I sent),address,color(learning to spell them)seasons,weather,numbers (with calander),days of the week,months of the year,shape,

starbeck96
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This week/month is a lot of firsts and new stuff for us.

We started having spelling words this week.  They are from the Dolch sight words list.

We also started learning our coins this week (which she knows most of them).  Next week we will start learning how to count them using different coins (for example: a nickel and two pennies).

I also introduced long vowel sounds today.  She did really great with them and I was very surprised.

We will also be concentrating on learning the days of the week (recognition) and months of the year (recognition).  If she learns them quick enough we may also learn how to spell them.  We will be doing the same for our colors, number words, and 1st-10th words.

We also introduced addition and subtraction.  We are doing both at the same time by introducing one family per week.  For exampe, this week is 0+0, 0-0, 1+0, 0+1, 1-0, 1-1.  I am sure this will be alot of fun...lol.

So as you can see we have alot of new stuff going on this month.  But I think as long as she is able to grasp it, then I will keep pushing.

Oh and we read our Abeka readers daily.  The ones we are using now are actually K4 material.  We will finish them by Christmas and then we will start on the K5 readers.  We will also supplement with other books as well.  She is really wanting to learn to read so as long as she is willing so am I.

starbeck96
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I forgot to mention that tomorrow we are going to learn about 9/11.  My boys (age 14) are watching tons of documentariesand doing research. They will be writing a 2 page report.  My daughter (who is in kindergarten) and I will watch a documentary or two with her.  We have already watched some of it (her dad is a history channel junkie) and she was really interested in learning about it.  Of course, I will keep it age appropriate..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN