Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to homeschooling, what am I missing?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 322 Total Views
Okay, I want to homeschool for the upcoming year so I'm getting ready now. My daughter is 6 and I'm letting her finish this school year in public school (there's only a month left, and I don't have anything to teach her yet)

I already checked my states laws and know the subjects I have to teach. I'm in Texas BTW. I know of a support group already, and have a friend who homeschooled older kids.

My curriculum choices:

Reading- the ordinary parents guide to teaching reading. Rod and staff grade 1 reader and workbook. And game playing on readingeggs.com and other apps.

Spelling- all about spelling kit

Grammar- rod and staff

Math- Singapore

Good Citizenship/ethics- Girl Scouts and AWANA

I don't have to teach but...

History- using the Usborne encyclopedia of world history
Science- using Christian liberty nature readers

^teaching what they are interested in and using Pinterest and library books too.

Extras- handwriting without tears
I piano wizard
Grapevine bible studies, creation to Jacob
---------------

I know what I want my homeschool space to have. I want one table for all the kids to be at. Entertaining the workbox system. Reading area with bean bags.
---------------
So what next? Any comments on curriculum? What am I missing that will help my first year go smoothly? Thanks in advance
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sarahsmommy1008
by Head Admin on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Looks like you've got it well planned already!  I don't see anything you're missing, but maybe one of the seasoned hs moms can give you some feedback.  Welcome to the world of homeschooling!  : )

mclane5
by owner on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

choice what you will use as a lesson plan book there are several options. There is online,lesson planbook and journal.I use online(homeschool tracker plus) and a do a lessonplan book (http://new-bintexas.webs.com/freecurriculumplanner.htm) and donnayoung.com

KrissyKC
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Looks like a decent plan.  I know when I first started I bought TOO much stuff that has NEVER gotten used... even with the younger kids.  

Also, I started realizing that a lot of that curriculum was useless.  In the younger grades, I teach phonics mainly until they are solid readers.   We do lots of reading and introduce numbers and math concepts.   Plus we highlight on fine and gross motor skills.  (writing, cutting, drawing, bikes, scooters, throwing and kicking, etc..)

I don't start an official big Math curriculum until 2nd grade, I introduce a big english curriculum in the third grade..  Prior to that, we just learn to love literature and solidify the love of reading.   The other stuff (science, social studies, art, etc) my littles join the older kids on now to make life easier.   Whatever they pick up from it is plenty of exposure to these topics.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Looks like you have it covered as far as the subjects go!  Have you thought about how structured versus relaxed you want your days to be?  There are a lot of benefits in letting a child sleep until she wakes up, making her fully rested and available for learning, but I also know families who like to stay on a structured schedule.  The kind of homeschool atmosphere you want to establish is helpful to establish from the beginning so that the children know what is expected.  With everyone sitting at the table, it will be somewhat more like school-at-home than family learning together.  We schooled in our living room with small tables.. cuddling on the couch for reading, kids working at their little tables with me sitting next to them, fire in the fireplace, and hot cocoa.  I relish the memories of those cozy family days!!  That said, I was more structured in the beginning, but over time I realized that relaxed was more peaceful and calming.. which aided learning.  Just something to think about! ;-)  GOOD LUCK! And welcome to homeschooling! :-D

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

mommynightowl
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

Looks like you've got it well planned already!  I don't see anything you're missing, but maybe one of the seasoned hs moms can give you some feedback.  Welcome to the world of homeschooling!  : )

Thank you :)
energygirl
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM

we use the website (free) www.abcya.com it has activities for K-5th (but my prek does some as well). I have a 3, 5, and almost 7 year old.  You can adjust the level so they can do sight word recognition, counting money.....etc. etc.  We are finding it a fun way to drill and work on areas that my daughter needs more practise in (without worksheets).   She does some on here own, and some that I choose for her (and then check her score). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)