Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nikon D40

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

Hi! I am new here! My name is Dorothy, and I just got the Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens, I love photography, although I certainly do not consider myself a photographer, I do hope one day to get to that level! 

So I got the D40 because I read great reviews, and as far as an entry level camera, heard it was great! Ive been reading a ton about settings, etc, etc. But was wondering if anyone has any tips, or advice as far as settings and such goes.

Up till this point all I have had was point and shoot cameras, so glad to be away from them though! 

I do have a question, I was looking at lenses, and was wondering if you guys could recommend any lenses, and explain what they are good for?

Also, I was on ebay, and you know when you make a purchase, then it shows what they recommend? I saw some pretty cheap lenses, like $50 for something that would cost 200+ in a nikon brand, I am wondering if these lenses are any good? I am not trying to go super cheap, but I do wonder if cheap is the same as expensive?

Thanks for any help!!

Mom to 7!! DS tristan-12 SS joey-12 SS johnny-11 DD nicole-9 DS collin-7 and twin DD hailey and elizabeth-6and SO to joe of 8 years!!!!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
andrea96
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I have learned by reading and taking some classes. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a great book. And, practice, practice, practice.

I have 2 non-Nikon lenses, but I did my research on them before I bought them, and reviews on them were very good.

I had the D40x, which is just a little newer version of the D40. You need to be aware when buying lenses, that only the AF-S lenses with autofocus on the D40. It doesn't have an autofocus motor in the camera body, so you have to buy lenses with it if you want to autofocus.

I have the D7000, and here is a list of the lenses I have and some of the ways I use them. I mainly shoot landscapes, nature, and wildlife, and my kids' portraits and sports. I think a lot of the women here are more into portrait photography, so their lenses may be different from mine.

Nikon 18-105MM VR f/3.5-5.6 - This is my kit lens. It is not the best quality of my lenses, but, because of its focal range, I use it most often. I will eventually replace it with a better lens, but, right now, I use it for portraits, landscapes, snapshots, etc. I like to hike, so this is the lens that is on my camera most of the time, unless I want to use one of the others for something specific.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF - This one will not autofocus on your camera, but I believe there is a newer version that will. When I first bought this lens, I used it a lot for the larger aperture on portraits. I still use it some, but it's not my favorite. I prefer using a zoom lens to a prime, but I don't shoot many portraits.

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC - I use this one for wildlife, shots of the moon, and other things I need to get closer to.

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - I love this lens! I use it for landscapes, and shots where I'm playing around, especially in low light. It is not good for portraits, unless you want to distort the person. I'm not sure it will autofocus on your camera, either, but a newer version just came out and it might.

angelgrl5200
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM
thanks! and yes i read about the auto focus thing before i bought the camera lol so i know there is limited lenses for that as well. mostly, well at least for now, it will just be pictures of my kids, things we go do, and random 'oh my thatd be an awesome photo' shots lol at least to start out, get the hang of everything ya know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andrea96
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting angelgrl5200:

thanks! and yes i read about the auto focus thing before i bought the camera lol so i know there is limited lenses for that as well. mostly, well at least for now, it will just be pictures of my kids, things we go do, and random 'oh my thatd be an awesome photo' shots lol at least to start out, get the hang of everything ya know.

In that case, I would probably wait a little while to buy another lens. Play around with this one and your camera, decide what you like about the lens, what you don't like, and go from there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)