Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler advice...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:57 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

I wasn't sure where to post this so I just picked the more likely group to answer... lol

So, my son just turned 1 the beginning of Jan, he has been walking since 9 months and is in full on toddler mode now (you'd think he was 2 already). Anyway, the toddler meals are super convienent but super expensive, so I'm looking for recipes for meals I can pre-make and maybe freeze or store some other way for quick and easy feedings since #2 (still yet to be named) will be here soon. So, any good links ect... would be great!!

Too, we are trying to decide what to do about buying baby stuff. We ended up having to leave a lot of our essentials up in KY when we moved because a whole bunch of Army BS was going on with my husbands medical discharge. So now we need a Highchair, bassinet/play yard, swing, ect... and neither my husband or I want to spend full price so we've been searching on craigslist... anyway back to my original question. Landon is like I said a toddler now, Do you think it is too early for a toddler like race car bed or something right now he sleeps in a pack'n'play. If not we'd buy a toddler bed, sell his pack'n'play and buy a newer one with a bassinet/changing table... but I'm not so sure the kid will stay in bed... lol

Sorry for the ramblling.... its 4am and I can't sleep, but yeah any suggestions would be GREAT!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MyRainbowBabies
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I switched my daughter to a toddler bed when she was eithteen months. I think that's usually around the standard age for a toddler bed. I would probably just buy a new pack and play with crib/changing table attachments...then it will double it's use for you. At night you could use it as your son's bed and during the day you can use it to change number two etc. As for buying baby stuff...you might wanna check out target right now...my sister just let me know that they are switching over their stock for their new stock for this year so the older stuff is on sale quite a bit. That...and if you don't mind used stuff you could try Once Upon a Child..they have cribs, bassinets, etc there (and they just opened another one by 50/436 Thursday.. ) As for foods..I just picked up a little pocket edition of baby and toddler meals for dummies...it has some homemade reciepes for toddler meals in it (ones you can freeze). I got it at the doller station of the target on 50 Weds night. Hopefully there are still some there..or if you want to borrow it, let me know!

Hopefully that's helps a little.

MommyToSmeech
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:22 PM

We put our son in a twin bed when he turned two just because we needed his crib for the new baby coming and I figured the sooner he got used to something different the better.  He really hated the toddler bed, which we tried first, for some reason though, not sure why, but needless to say we tried it for a few months and the experience was awful on everyone involved, so we bought a twin bed for him around his second birthday.

It has worked out much better, although I can tell you he has now been in it for six months now and he still does not stay in bed.  Well, I should re-phrase, he still will not stay in bed while we are trying to get him to fall asleep.  Once he's asleep he stays in all night and if he does wake up he just hollars for me to come and see what he needs.  He gets up at least ten times every night when we first lay him down though...it drives me nuts, but I refuse to put up a gate or close the door to his room or anything like that, so I just walk him back to his bed a million times until he gives up, lol.  One day it will end, I hope, of course I thought that day would be here by now, so who knows!?  :)

jakeslady
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM

LOL that's too funny I just picked up that same booklet from target the other day... that and the cocktails for dummies... too bad I wont be able to use that for a while... lol There weren't that many recipes in it though, I was hoping there would have been more.... Thanks for the tips I'll keep thinking and we'll figure something out.

Quoting MyRainbowBabies:

I switched my daughter to a toddler bed when she was eithteen months. I think that's usually around the standard age for a toddler bed. I would probably just buy a new pack and play with crib/changing table attachments...then it will double it's use for you. At night you could use it as your son's bed and during the day you can use it to change number two etc. As for buying baby stuff...you might wanna check out target right now...my sister just let me know that they are switching over their stock for their new stock for this year so the older stuff is on sale quite a bit. That...and if you don't mind used stuff you could try Once Upon a Child..they have cribs, bassinets, etc there (and they just opened another one by 50/436 Thursday.. ) As for foods..I just picked up a little pocket edition of baby and toddler meals for dummies...it has some homemade reciepes for toddler meals in it (ones you can freeze). I got it at the doller station of the target on 50 Weds night. Hopefully there are still some there..or if you want to borrow it, let me know!

Hopefully that's helps a little.

jakeslady
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty much prepared for the repetative putting him back in bed till he learns it's a battle he wont win... Luckily with the help of Enya my boy is asleep in about 2 min most nights.

Quoting MommyToSmeech:

We put our son in a twin bed when he turned two just because we needed his crib for the new baby coming and I figured the sooner he got used to something different the better.  He really hated the toddler bed, which we tried first, for some reason though, not sure why, but needless to say we tried it for a few months and the experience was awful on everyone involved, so we bought a twin bed for him around his second birthday.

It has worked out much better, although I can tell you he has now been in it for six months now and he still does not stay in bed.  Well, I should re-phrase, he still will not stay in bed while we are trying to get him to fall asleep.  Once he's asleep he stays in all night and if he does wake up he just hollars for me to come and see what he needs.  He gets up at least ten times every night when we first lay him down though...it drives me nuts, but I refuse to put up a gate or close the door to his room or anything like that, so I just walk him back to his bed a million times until he gives up, lol.  One day it will end, I hope, of course I thought that day would be here by now, so who knows!?  :)

LoveMyLandon220
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Hey ~ I have a Landon, too!  I wanted to let you know about http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/    I checked it out a while ago when I was in my "I'll make homemade baby food" stage and they have a lot of easy recipes for toddlers.  They have ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks and on a lot of the recipes, they indicate that they freeze well.  Hope that helps...  Since Walden Books is closing, I just picked up Deceptively Delicious - a cookbook all about hididng veggies in meals.  It looks great, but does require a bit more work because you have to prepare the purees that go into the meals....

I don't have much advice about the toddler bed.  My Landon will be 2 next month and he's still in his crib.  He hasn't outgrown it, hasn't tried to climb out of it, and he goes to bed so well and sleeps all night - I figure it if ain't broke....  not sure when we'll tackle the big switch. 

I just joined cafemom tonight and was a message board virgin before replying to your post...  :-)   Good Luck to you and your baby on the way!  

~Sarah 

carolynmo
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:22 AM

If you want to save money, we skipped the toddler bed altogether.  My son climbed out of his crib at 12 months and even in the down position I wasn't comfortable with his climbing in and out unsupervised.  So we just took a mattress (In his case the crib mattress, but you could purchase a twin and put it on the floor.  This way if he fell out of bed it wasn't too far down. ) Then when he wasn't falling out of it anymore, we put up the twin bed.  I made a really cute backboard out of plywood, cloth and baseball bats.  There are tons of ideas online I'm sure.  (I got mine out of a Family Fun Magazine but he's 12 now so I'm sure that's long gone).  My point being...you can still make it cute too.

jakeslady
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Thanks so much that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...

Quoting LoveMyLandon220:

Hey ~ I have a Landon, too!  I wanted to let you know about http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/    I checked it out a while ago when I was in my "I'll make homemade baby food" stage and they have a lot of easy recipes for toddlers.  They have ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks and on a lot of the recipes, they indicate that they freeze well.  Hope that helps...  Since Walden Books is closing, I just picked up Deceptively Delicious - a cookbook all about hididng veggies in meals.  It looks great, but does require a bit more work because you have to prepare the purees that go into the meals....

I don't have much advice about the toddler bed.  My Landon will be 2 next month and he's still in his crib.  He hasn't outgrown it, hasn't tried to climb out of it, and he goes to bed so well and sleeps all night - I figure it if ain't broke....  not sure when we'll tackle the big switch. 

I just joined cafemom tonight and was a message board virgin before replying to your post...  :-)   Good Luck to you and your baby on the way!  

~Sarah 

jakeslady
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Well, the reason we were considering the toddler bed is cause we found a really good deal on craigslist for one and since we will have 2 boys now we figure as one moves out of the one bed the other will move into it till we eventually end up with 2 twin beds.... or more babies.... lol Thanks for the tips tho, cause I'm not even sure if the bed is still available.

Quoting carolynmo:

If you want to save money, we skipped the toddler bed altogether.  My son climbed out of his crib at 12 months and even in the down position I wasn't comfortable with his climbing in and out unsupervised.  So we just took a mattress (In his case the crib mattress, but you could purchase a twin and put it on the floor.  This way if he fell out of bed it wasn't too far down. ) Then when he wasn't falling out of it anymore, we put up the twin bed.  I made a really cute backboard out of plywood, cloth and baseball bats.  There are tons of ideas online I'm sure.  (I got mine out of a Family Fun Magazine but he's 12 now so I'm sure that's long gone).  My point being...you can still make it cute too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)