Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Know? (piog)

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 452 Total Views

Do you know what the three major credit reporting agencies have to say about your credit profile?  We do.

Just to remind everyone, you can get an absolutely free credit report once every 12 months from www.annualcreditreport.com. (Not to be confused with www.freecreditreport.com....they are NOT free~)

The three reporting agencies, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion are all available on that site.

My husband and I check our reports every year at this time.  I'm always amazed how much changes in just one year!  For instance, I recently closed a BofA account for hubby and me.  When I checked with Experian, they showed the account as still open...but Equifax showed it as closed.  I was able to do a quick online dispute to explain the account Experian showed had been closed.  It's sooo much easier than years ago when I did all this through the mail.

I used to work checking credit for people who wanted to lease cars.  That opened my eyes to how screwed up a credit report can become without someone's knowledge.

One time, when I checked my husband's report, I found his credit had co-mingled with his dads!  What a nightmare that was.  Another time, my credit had been hijacked by someone else posing as me.  (Identity theft.)

Please check your reports.  It may mean the difference between getting hired at that company you want to work for, getting the house you love, or even if your insurance rates will go up!  No kidding.

Sorry to be preachy, but I just know how important this is to check at least once a year.  For free, who wouldn't?

by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
utkallie
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 10:26 AM

We check ours every six months. It's amazing how much crap ends up on there that you never even know about!

Ametrine
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Quoting utkallie:

We check ours every six months. It's amazing how much crap ends up on there that you never even know about!

That's what's recommended!  I never seem to get to it until the end of the year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN