Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im with another general group for toddlers/preschoolers but everyone's advice about potty training is just not working for us.
Emma has been dry overnight for so long I can't even remember since when, maybe eight months now. She only poops at home and sometimes at the library. She pees a lot of course but is dry often for hours on end. Her body is ready.
In the morning after waking up she sometimes doesn't pee until during or after breakfast (usually within 20min upon waking). I ask her if she wants to pee first thing. I ask after breakfast. I ask after nap, before bath (pees in her bath often) answer is always the same "no thank you mama".
I've tried bribing with her favorite things like stickers and panties. Lolly's even when we still had them from Halloween (we don't normally keep candy candy in the house)
I've asked her if she would rather go on mommy and daddy's potty. I've also tried letting her play with a bowel of warm water while sitting on her potty, which worked one time. I've asked her if she wants to watch tv and sit on the potty instead of the bathroom. One time two weeks ago my husband told me he asked her after bath if she wanted to go naked for awhile or put a diaper on right away. Naked of course. Five minutes later she got him and told him she peed on the floor and went and sat on her potty after she showed him.
We've done books and videos. Are encouraging and the such but she will not do it.
She would never go for charts and the bribes don't work. And "your a big girl" deffinately doesn't work. Whenever I even say it I feel stupid because she just looks at me like I am stupid for even saying it.

So do I just keep waiting patiently (screaming inside) or does anyone else have anything, anything at all to suggest.
And it's not that I'm bothered to change her diaper, I don't care either way. It's just that I know she can do it and for the life of me I can't figure out the magic word to get her to go for it.

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Replies (21-25):
Abee2202
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Since about Sunday I've incorporated potty time with the bedtime routine. She's willing to sit for five minutes but no pee. I have an m&m sitting on a subwoofer, next to her potty for two days now. I told she can have it when she pees on her potty.
The surprising thing that happened was yesterday. We got home from Walmart at 5:15 and I had to feed her and get to a playdate by 6pm. At 5:50pm, right in the middle of a fight with my husband and trying to get tights back on her, I gave up on the tights for two minutes and knew she was completely dry...she sat on her potty...bent forward and ten seconds later stood up and I felt her diaper and she had peed. Progress. But because we were fighting, I didn't party out like I wanted too for her and am mad at myself for that. But I still said awesome job to her.
So...baby steps...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadenn766
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

i think pull-ups send a mixed message...jmo

Abee2202
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Yes, I agree.
We WERE given a package at Christmas time and I have about three left. I only found them convinient once when we were out shopping and she pooped. I changed her in the car and it was nicer to slip one of those on instead of fussing with a real diaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abee2202
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Well, 6 months later from my original post.....I've learned a lot.

Today is the end of day nine of Emma being potty trained. Just as I predicted, she trained herself. She just goes on her own now. She's only had two poop accidents and one pee accident.
One day she implemented a story we had read about using the potty. Step by step we ritualized it. Panties off, up the step stool, onto the big potty (her idea), two squares of paper, wipe, panties back on, up another big stool, wash and dry hands....done. She did this twenty times in three hours. A week later she said she had to go on the potty and that was that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crzctl8de
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)