Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindle Fire

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 827 Total Views

I don't own one of these, but a thought occurred to me about the name...

How strange that this device replaces paper books (etc.). 

Do they mean to symbolically burn books? 

by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joeygirl
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Wow that's a thought!  I personally prefer books..........even though I don't see the print as well as I used to!  I also love to just hold a magazine and thumb through it and enjoy the photos and colors.  I enjoy doing crosswords, on actual paper.  I do worry books will be forever replaced by these gadgets and it saddens me.................Just like it seems no one uses notecards much anymore, etc   And what is all this equipment doing to our health?  Does it emit some sort of radiation, etc.??  Will we no longer need bookcases to store books on?  wow.............

Ametrine
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Quoting joeygirl:

Wow that's a thought!  I personally prefer books..........even though I don't see the print as well as I used to!  I also love to just hold a magazine and thumb through it and enjoy the photos and colors.  I enjoy doing crosswords, on actual paper.  I do worry books will be forever replaced by these gadgets and it saddens me.................Just like it seems no one uses notecards much anymore, etc   And what is all this equipment doing to our health?  Does it emit some sort of radiation, etc.??  Will we no longer need bookcases to store books on?  wow.............

I just bought a pair of reading glasses yesterday.  (!)

I'm wondering if someday, people who actually own paper books will be considered very rich like hundreds of years ago.  If devices like this take over, what's the point of paper? Maybe there will still be books printed, but they will be beyond most people's budget.

Will hardback books we buy today be the investment that makes our great-grandkids wealthy?

I love to go to used book stores and buy Gothics.  The one I'm reading now was originally published in 1927 and the reprint I have is from 1955.  It's a piece of history I can hold in my hands.  I wonder how many people passed it on before it got to me...I wonder how many more trips it will make?

A cold, hard screen made of plastic just isn't warm, you know?

utkallie
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I just cannot get into the readers. I tried and it gave me a horrid headache. I need an actual book to snuggle up with!

Manth
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I have a regular Kindle and I LOVE it.  I still like paper books BUT my vision is so bad lately I often can't READ paper books because the print is just not big enough and I can't manage to read comfortably with a magnifier (tried that).  That's one reason I love my Kindle - I can adjust the print size to suit my failing eyes.  It also solves my problem when it comes to book storage since all the volumes are stored right there in one small device.  Book series I was already collecting in paper format I still buy the latest volumes in paper but new series (new to me, not necessarily new to the world) I get in Kindle format.

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a Kindle Fire and I have a paper books.  I dont' think they are trying to take over the book world.  But admit it, we are a society of convenience and the Kindle Fire and other e-readers are convenient.  I have it while waiting for my son's show to start or my daughter's Girl Scout meeting.  It's convenient, that's all.

ldmrmom
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I was a hold out on ereaders. I insisted there was no reason for it. I'd never want one. I was happy to have my real book in my real hands. :) Then others in the family started getting them and the more I saw of them, the more I started to change. For Christmas I got a Nook Tablet and I am addicted to it. 

I love that it goes with me everywhere.  Several of my regular magazines extend their print subscriptions to e-readers at no extra cost. This means at any point and time I have access to whatever book (or books, sometimes I'm going through more than one at a time), my magazines, my calender, a few misc. fun apps and my address book all from one device the size of a paperback tucked neatly in my pocketbook.  I like being able to read at night (or play Words with Friends, ha!) when DH is sleep. The screen is light enough that I don't need to turn on lights or find the book light to attach to something or other. I love when we go on vacation (we go by car A LOT) and the kids can load up on new books on their Nooks (Simple Touch) and then add more on when we have WiFi access if they finish up what they've got. last year DS had his Nook and picked up new books at his whim at a hotel shop. I ran out of books to read and we had to search out a book shop before hitting up our next activity.

I don't necessarily think eReaders will replace books any more than paperbacks replaced hardcovers. It's just a different vehicle. In the end, the important thing is the book itself and not what media you use to consume it.

Ametrine
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I'd be curious to find out why they named it Kindle (a) Fire.

I know it's probably a way of saying that they are starting a hot trend, but the other "meaning" just popped into my mind.

I'm not at all saying e-readers are bad.

ldmrmom
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Quoting Ametrine:

From a marketing perspective the "Fire" simply builds off the Kindle brand imagery for consistancy. Most of us associate the word kindle as the brand Kindle - an ereader. The word, however, is defined as "to start a fire; to ignite" in addition to more symbolic things like "to get excited" to "to illumiate." I don't think the name Fire is meant to symbolize any broader meaning other than to keep it's product names within a consistant brand theme.

Having sat in many a brand meeting, rarely do names get nearly as deep as to hidden ulterior motives. :)  The naming sessions I've participated in start like this "Let's just start throwing a bunch of stuff out there and see what we like. Then we'll see what's already trade marked and go from there." 

As a marketer, however, I would say they did a good job. The fact is that regardless of what they meant about the name or not - it's got you talking about it. It's got others to add their positive experiences with the product to the dialog. It's free advertsing just because the name they picked made you stop and think a little.

Ametrine
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

As a name goes, Kindle Fire is very sexy.

When we bought a new SUV in the late 1980's, my husband and I were invited to preview prototypes, give our opinion, and get paid for the day.  I had a blast!  It was so much fun to see (sort of, they taped out some details) what the designers were working on. 

I think it would be just as much fun naming new products.  :)

Quoting ldmrmom:

Quoting Ametrine:

From a marketing perspective the "Fire" simply builds off the Kindle brand imagery for consistancy. Most of us associate the word kindle as the brand Kindle - an ereader. The word, however, is defined as "to start a fire; to ignite" in addition to more symbolic things like "to get excited" to "to illumiate." I don't think the name Fire is meant to symbolize any broader meaning other than to keep it's product names within a consistant brand theme.

Having sat in many a brand meeting, rarely do names get nearly as deep as to hidden ulterior motives. :)  The naming sessions I've participated in start like this "Let's just start throwing a bunch of stuff out there and see what we like. Then we'll see what's already trade marked and go from there." 

As a marketer, however, I would say they did a good job. The fact is that regardless of what they meant about the name or not - it's got you talking about it. It's got others to add their positive experiences with the product to the dialog. It's free advertsing just because the name they picked made you stop and think a little.

ldmrmom
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM

It can be fun naming and branding. A lot of it depends on who you're working with. ROFL! I worked with VP once that wanted to name a new product after a bottle of champagne he had seen at the bar the night before. The only way we talked him out of it was by telling him his very 'high-end tech' product would bear the same name as an "adult" toy store online. ha! Thank you Google for helping us out of that one.

Another time a company I worked for spun off a subsidiary and selected a name that was supposed to look like "initial."  The whizzes at the exec level got all cerebral and thought "Yeah! People will see it and think we're first. We're the leaders."  Now, in the tech world, you lobby to brief analyst firms who in turn write fancy reports, blogs, and articles, as well as get interviewed by various tech writers. The majority of analyst we briefed all said the same thing: Why would you name a company with something that sounds so much like inertia.  I absolutely enjoyed hearing that after having tried to talk the execs out of that one for the same exact reason before they went and got it trademarked.

On the other hand, an ad agency I worked for once had a "Invention and branding" division. They did really cool things. I loved sitting in on their meetings or ease dropping on their market research panels. There was a guy in that group who get all into character. One year he was helping an OJ company come up with a new product and marketing campaign to go with it for a particular market segment. He made everyone in the brainstorming session paint their nails green to get in touch with their inner teenage girl - the target market. He was a riot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)