Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten "Redshirting"

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 1005 Total Views

I look at "redshirting" as a sort of blessing for gifted kids going into major metro and suburbian schools.  They are more likely to be in classes with kids up to 18 months older than they...making them not so much the "odd one out".

What do you think of this?

60 Minutes-Redshirting (Must watch on YouTube)

by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ametrine
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I find the comments at 6:25 about children looking more "able" getting in to higher reading groups to be very interesting.

What does this say about how people perceive a child's ability based just on age?  How many of those kids would be "surprising" their parents with reading at age three if time were spent to teach them with the expectation that they would understand?

rkoloms
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM
We seriously considered this. Alyssa has a late August birthday, and the cutoff for the Chicago schools is September 1. Because of her late birthday, her scores were marked down, and she was waitlisted for the academically advanced programs until 2nd grade. She was already bored at preschool, and another year may have turned her off to school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Please do a search on this topic we just had over 100 posts on a single question, it might help you.
Ametrine
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Quoting thebailiffs:

Please do a search on this topic we just had over 100 posts on a single question, it might help you.

Do a search where?  In this group?

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Quoting Ametrine:

Type it into the cafemom search bar.
Ametrine
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I did but 100 replies didn't come up.  Maybe she could give the link?

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Quoting Ametrine:

Type it into the cafemom search bar.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Ametrine:

Here is the link to the other post. It doesn't really specifically address gifted kids although there are posts in there from several mothers, including me that have gifted/advanced kids....

http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/16119548/_red_shirting_kindergarten

I apologize if it's not clicky but I am on the iPad.
rkoloms
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quoting thebailiffs:

This is hardly scientific, or rational:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/16119548/_red_shirting_kindergarten

Ametrine
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting thebailiffs:

This is hardly scientific, or rational:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/16119548/_red_shirting_kindergarten

Thanks for finding that.  I know a bit about that group:

eye rolling

and won't be surprised by the responses.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Quoting Ametrine:

I stay in that group for the entertainment factor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)