Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten "Redshirting"

Posted by   + Show Post

I look at "redshirting" as a sort of blessing for gifted kids going into major metro and suburbian schools.  They are more likely to be in classes with kids up to 18 months older than they...making them not so much the "odd one out".

What do you think of this?

60 Minutes-Redshirting (Must watch on YouTube)

by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Replies (11-16):
Ametrine
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Quoting Ametrine:

I stay in that group for the entertainment factor.

You're a better woman than me.  I get too ticked off and have a hard time being civil. 

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Quoting Ametrine:

Lol, there are times that I do get ticked off.
ldmrmom
by Group Admin on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I've yet to see the full piece (and I'm at work so I can't watch now) but redshirting is a hot button topic for me. ;)

I have two children with 'late' birthdays. I can not tell you the number of people who felt compelled to share their opinions with us about when our kids should start school based solely on a birth date. Ugh. I have also read articles referencing studies (no links saved, but I can always google at some point. ROFL!) that do not encourage me to think highly of the practice.

On one hand, advantages to the student that delays the start for a year typically dissapate by the 3rd grade. Most children (not all) that enter K ahead academcially tend to level off with their peers by that point. These would be your academically advanced but not intellectually gifted children. The point is that any age may give tends to be short-term.

Regarding athletics and size - much of that is a wash by high school when it matters most.  While you may see a difference in the freshman class to the senior class - there's rarely much noticiable difference in between, say, Jrs and Srs.

There are also studies (and I *think* this 60 minutes piece touches on it) that children who are redshirted are more likely to bully or take on the role of instigator. Their age, being the 'bigger kid' in the group, seems to give many the green light to take charge and manipulate.

calimom1123
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never wait to put my child in k. Here in ca the law was age 5 by dec 1st. Dds bday was in october so she started at 4. She was already reading and writing sentences by this time so holding her back wasnt in the question. She eventually skipped 2nd grade and started 3rd at 6yrs old. And did great btw. I think when it comes to a gifted child holding them back because of age wont work out well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Verrine
by Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM

We went the other way. DS-7 is the youngest in 2nd grade & gets very little learning out of it. He is in 3rd grade math & the best student in the class. If we'd gone with the numbers, he would still be in 1st grade. He has an Oct birthday not a summer one. I think it's silly to hold a child back if they are at least average. 

rkoloms
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM
In elementary school, Alyssa was always in the highest reading and math groups (we were suprised that academically advanced schools do tracking)

Quoting Ametrine:

I find the comments at 6:25 about children looking more "able" getting in to higher reading groups to be very interesting.

What does this say about how people perceive a child's ability based just on age?  How many of those kids would be "surprising" their parents with reading at age three if time were spent to teach them with the expectation that they would understand?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)