Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why?

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 681 Total Views
What age did your kid(s) starting asking why why why why why.....all day long?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbfcmom
by on May. 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM
I can honestly say I never had to deal with why, why, why, why, why. I have heard some toddlers/preschoolers do that and it would have drove me batty, lol. Both my girls have always asked more specific questions...What are those dark spots on the moon? How many kinds of butterflies are there? How do we move our arms and legs and stuff?...things like that that we can really dive in and investigate together. And it's not a constant barrage of questions, it seems more like they have been thinking about something for a while when they ask. DD1 started that around 3.5 and DD2 around 3.
Abee2202
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Well, she starts off with a real question then after I answer her, she reiterates THEN she asks why over and over and over again. I thought this was a four year old thing to do so I was surprised she started doing it a few weeks ago. She just turned 30mo today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2maryjoseph
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I would say from around 2 1/2 to 3.  Now it is how come questions.

jbfcmom
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM
My friends who have kids I have heard doing that have been at various ages; I think I have heard 2, 3, and 4 yr olds doing it. I didn't think there was a standard age, just depends on the kid. But what do I know, neither of my kids have been "normal" for any milestone or phase so I have no clue, lol. Both of mine always seemed to be way ahead or stubbornly way behind on things. I think they did it on purpose, their form of entertainment during those first few years. ;)

I think what was always annoying to me though is when kids are younger and ask why, why, why, they seem to be saying it for the sake of saying the word. It's like you only get halfway through your answer and they're asking again, or asking a new question. It seems like they don't really care about the answer, they just want to talk. That's what I'm happy my kids never did. When they ask things, we take the time to look it up online or get library books, etc and they are genuinely interested. Is your DD interested in researching things with you more in depth? My kids LOVE when I say, "well, let's google it".
momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My dd actually started with what dat? and who dat? around 11-12 months, ds started around 18 months or so. 

crzctl8de
by on May. 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

My dd started the Why about 2, and then What's it made of at about 3.5.  Don't know if it is normal, but she is anything but normal.

The Internet is my friend, when I don't know the answer I have to google, now she just does it herself.  When she was younger  15+ years ago there was no google. Or at least nothing I could use.  :(  that when I had all kinds of science books and encyclopedias. :) 

ddhb2007
by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM
My daughter started at 18 months. She's 5 now, and she still asks why. However, it's not so incessantly now.
shadenn766
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

he didnt really ask a lot of why why questions...was inquisitive in a different way

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

When my daughter was about 2, her nickname was WhosieWhatsIt.  She was constantly asking "What's that?" and "Who's That?"  

Abee2202
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM
It's only become worse since my original post....lol. I still answer her over and over but now I know why parents said "because I said so". It's most of the time cute but sometimes around that time of month it's irritating. I don't flub her off ever tho, I know she's just learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)