Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to School Shopping

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 423 Total Views

This is silly, but...

My son's school supplies cost less than $20. He is very good at conserving school supplies and holding onto them. He has only gone through 7 glue sticks in 3 years. We bought a 10-pack before kindergarten. Every time I go into an elementary classroom, I wind up picking up broken crayons from the floor and regular kids go through a lot of glue sticks. 

His back to school clothes were 2 pairs of sneakers for less than $20. Mostly this is because he hasn't grown. All his old clothes are in good condition and still fit. He wore out his favorite sneakers, so these are replacements. 

I know we won't be able to get away with under $40 in the future, especially once he starts wanting to wear brand name clothing. 

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Christine100700
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Treasure the cheap moments lol. I am still trying to forget school supply shopping for three (2 in public school with lists a page long and they rarely send stuff home end of year as all supplies are communal in elementary here except pencil boxes, and one homeschool online ) Two are in uniforms and need new pants several times a year due to growing like darn weeds. What we have to send in for the teachers is more than 20 alone. Sadly all 3 boys birthdays are in August too so it's one horribly expensive month in our household.
Ours started school last week though so I ripped that expense bandaid off a few weeks ago lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

My girls both school online but I also have a preschooler and toddler.  For our home classroom, which I love having, and all of thier supplies I spent about 300 dollars, but I dont have to buy school clothes, They ussually grow in the middle of the year then I will need to buy something.  

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Quoting Christine100700:

Ours started school last week though so I ripped that expense bandaid off a few weeks ago lol

I'm picturing using a dollar bill or in your case a 100 dollar bill as a bandaid  :) 

jbfcmom
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM
This is one of the reasons I HATE the schools doing communal supplies! My DD takes care of her things, but many of the other kids do not. So I have to buy 5 boxes of crayons even though my DD will only use one, two at most. Plus, I hate when I buy my DD Crayola because I prefer it's durability and washability, but then I walk in her class later and see she got stuck with somebody else's cheap Roseart markers or something. We had a couple of shirts ruined last year because of that....but now I'm getting off on a tangent, lol.

We are the same way with clothes. DD1 is 6 and almost never grows, she's actually getting ready to fall off the height chart completely, poor kid. But it does save on clothes when she can wear the same ones for multiple years, lol. She did just get a few new outfits for her bday though, just because I believe every kid should have a few new things for school. Her feet didn't grow either, but I gave her new shoes since the old ones were worn down of course. I didn't have to buy them now though, we already had some fun shoes stockpiled because I buy them on end of season clearances and put them back.

DD2 grows a bit faster, she's average on the charts, but gets DD1's hand me downs mostly. I did buy her a few new outfits for her bday in July that are her colors and tastes, so she has a few new things to start her very first year of school next week. She got new shoes from our stockpile too, but also 1 new pair that we just found on clearance at Target and she begged me for. We did need one more pair anyways since both girls wear the same size shoe now and I didn't have quite enough put back. Now both have three pairs of sneakers in different colors.
megamay
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It's a terrible thing to complain about - but in the past my in-laws have bought most of DDs clothes. This year I had a blast taking her shopping! We only needed a few tops and some shoes, but it was so much fun!

but yeah $40 is awesome!!

And - I buy the cheap Rose Art markers for that reason - the communal thing. We use Crayola at home and are VERY into art - actually DD (6) has been using my expensive Prismacolor alcohol ink ones, but at school, she gets the rose art because they all share.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)