Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving to Las Cruces

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:17 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 292 Total Views
Hello moms I'm glad i found this group. my husband is working for the Border Patrol now in Deming. i am currently living in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl with the kids at my moms house. i will be planning to relocating with the kids and joining my husband in the summer.We were really interested in living in Las Cruces. it seems more better to live in than Deming. What do You think? I want to know how are the school? which ones are the best? I have a 7 year old boy and a 6 year old girl? I am a registered nurse and am applying to work at Memorial medical center and mountain View. Does anyone know anything about them or which one you would think is better to work in? and if any one knows of a 3 bedroom that is 4 rent let me know? and one last thing i am looking for a dance school in the area( my daughter has been dancing since she was 3) and where can i go to take my son to join a t ball/ baseball team?
Thanks,
KathyLaughing
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mrs_Fernandez
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Well let me see if I can be of any help.  Well congratulations to you and your husband.  Sounds like this is going to be a major change for all of you.  I would really like for my husband to get in the border patrol.  Right now he is a correctional officer at the state prison here in Cruces.  I think Las Cruces is probably better than Deming.  But I really can't say because I have never been there.  But Las Cruces is a bigger city.  Well there are a few good schools here.  My son goes to East Picacho Elem. which is on the north side in the valley.  I think it is one of the best schools here.  My son is in Kinder and is reading and doing math.  He has learned so much.  School is from 8:00 to 2:30.  Well I am not sure about the hospitals.  I am not sure what kind of payment you are looking for for renting, but I have seen a few around here.  There are a few dance schools here.  I think there is one called Michelle's.  I know that one has been around for a while.  There is also a place called Gym Magic, but I am not sure if it has dance.  We have t-ball/baseball here.  My son is in it.  You son will miss the season, but here is a link you can check out.  http://www.lascrucesbaseball.org/index.htm  There is also soccer here.  My son likes that too.  Here is a link for that information http://www.zianet.com/soccerlc/
Well please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.  I hope this has helped at least a little bit.
debbasue
by New Member on May. 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM
When we moved to LC ten years ago, we moved to the little town adjacent to LC .... Mesilla. I raised both of my girls here. There are only about 2400 people in the town so everyone knows everyone. The schools in Mesilla are part of the greater LC public schools and  the elementary school is Mesilla Elementary. My oldest is now living in SF, CA and my youngest is a freshman at LC High School. The middle School that serves the area is Zia Middle School and I think they have had very good test scores. My youngest went through this middle school and is doing well in her honors classes at LC high school.

There are also a variety of magnet schools for the middle school level, but  you can explore that in a couple of years.

I have a friend with a young son who has done Tball .... you could contact him about getting your son involved. His name is Toby Rue and he can be reached at 505-621-5426. His children are going through the Mesilla Valley Christian School and I believe this private school has a good reputation .... I just think the public schools have done well by my children.

There are a couple of dance schools here in town. You can easily locate them once you arrive.

Good luck on your move. I agree that LC is the better of the two places when you are considering whether to choose LC or Deming.

Debbie Swansburg
devonly
by on Feb. 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM

My daughter took a dance and gymnastics combo class at Gym Magic and really loved it, so I know they have classes for the younger set (she will be 3 in May). I'm not sure about classes for older kids. Gym Magic has it's own web site so you could probably find all the info you need on it (I don't know the address off the top of my head). And I will have to say they are pretty expensive - I paid $160 for 2 months worth of classes once a week and the yearly registration fee.

There are quite a few houses for rent in my neighborhood for the size you mentioned for about $1200/month. Hope that helps and good luck with your move.

-Ly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)