Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it bother you?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 433 Total Views

Does it bother you when women (or, in the case of the lesbians, men) hit on you?

I know that this is more a guy thing ("I'm fine with him being gay, but if he ever hits on me, I'll knock him out." <--Feel free to rip that familiar saying apart...I always do), but I'm curious how you guys feel about it.  (I'm starting a petition to make "abou tit" a valid phrase, since I type it too often.)

I know that for most of us, it probably doesn't incur ANGER, but does it make you uncomfortable?  For the gay girls, how do you handle it when a man comes on to you?  Do you just leave it at "I'm married," or do you tell the whole story?  If you DO tell the whole story, does that just encourage them further??

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsw311
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I'm uncomfortable when ANYONE hits on me, I don't care what sex they are.  I have a girlfriend that is gay and she did hit on me once early in our friendship.  Honestly?  I laughed, but then I do that to men too so it's not out of character.  I guess my low self-esteem makes me think they're joking or something, I don't know.  But in answer to your question, no it doesn't "bother" me, but I'm uncomfortable.  I know I should be flattered, but I usually think they're making fun.

JoyeAustin
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Quoting mrsw311:

I'm uncomfortable when ANYONE hits on me, I don't care what sex they are.  I have a girlfriend that is gay and she did hit on me once early in our friendship.  Honestly?  I laughed, but then I do that to men too so it's not out of character.  I guess my low self-esteem makes me think they're joking or something, I don't know.  But in answer to your question, no it doesn't "bother" me, but I'm uncomfortable.  I know I should be flattered, but I usually think they're making fun.

Well gee, I could have written this.

imannieeggplant
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I'm always flattered when someone hits on me - another form of low self esteem ;-)

No matter who is making an advance, I'll tell them that I'm married and leave it at that.

It also makes my day when someone flirts with me.  It makes me feel a little better, like I have not lost all of my sexual self to motherhood and marriage.

ealexh
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM

When I'm hit on by a guy, I'm like "Ummm... I'm a lesbian."  The response I usually get is, "Oh, sorry."  On a side note, I hate it when I'm hit on by females because I always get the gross ones.  I was out one night and some chick was like, "Wanna hook up sometime?"  I said, "Sorry, I have a wife at home."  Then she said, "That's okay... we can ALL get together."  Then I'm like, "We're monogomous."  These are the general responses from lesbian chicks that hit on me.  Gross.

Rachael
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Well unless I am totally clueless, which my hubby thinks I am.  I do not see it if people are hitting on me... but I am a flirt by nature.  If someone did hit on me and I actually caught on, I would just tell them I am married and leave it at that.

LesHug
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM

The only time it bothers me when ANY one hits on me is when they are wearing a wedding band (or have obvious wedding band tan lines) or when once I have let them know I'm not interested they wont stop.

Being hit on by a girl doesnt bother me, it can make me uncomferable sometimes but that happens with guys too. Its just a persons vibe, ya know that creepy this person is bad news vibe.

SkAte is love!
Sign my guestbook!
Group Admin. of
Mothers Against Spanking
Celebrate Diversity

Proud LOST fan

ivansmom07
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Quoting Rachael:

Well unless I am totally clueless, which my hubby thinks I am.  I do not see it if people are hitting on me... but I am a flirt by nature.  If someone did hit on me and I actually caught on, I would just tell them I am married and leave it at that.

This.  I'd rather call it 'friendly' but flirt works, too =)

It doesn't bother me at all when ANYONE hits on me.  I think it's kinda cute. 

okmanders
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 2:01 AM

i would be flattered that they thought i was attractive!! then i would tell her i was married, but that she had made my day haha! life is too short to be offended by little things like that.

now if i had a good friend who was a lesbian & she knew im married & not gay & she still hit on me, that would be annoying. but i would feel that way about a male friend too.

princessnoodl03
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 7:36 AM

When men hit on me, I usually just gove them a crazy look and if that doesn't scare them off then I tell them I'm married.  If a women were to hit on me, I'd probably just tell her that I'm married, but my husband and I are looking for a third.  LOL!  Granted that would probably scare her off too, but I wouldn't be lying!  lol  Women don't hit on me though... unless I know them.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Pic Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

BigMommaJesca
by Group Owner on Feb. 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM

In either case, men or women, I usually just give a winning smile (and say "thanks" if it's appropriate) and go on with a little more bounce in my step.  If they actually ask to hook up sometime, or try to actually establish a future relationship, THAT is when I do the "sparkle, sparkle!" thing with the wedding band.

Usually, when people flirt with me, they won't take it to the next level unless I stop and actually start a conversation, so flirting in passing (Like the lady at Taco Bell who handed me my food and drawled out "Enjoy, goooorgeous!") is just taken with appreciation, unless they're really crude with it.  Then, it's met with rolled eyes and an "In your dreams, buddy."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)