Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypothetical Question

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 492 Total Views

How long do you suppose it would take an alien race to fully integrate into our society?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BigMommaJesca
by Group Owner on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM

My husband thinks it's about 20 years. 

arthistmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM

What do you mean by "fully integrate"? That this alien race would, for example, speak the dominant language and not their own and abide by the cultural norms of our society and abandon (or at least sublimate) their own unique ones?

princessnoodl03
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:53 AM

50 years, minimum.  If people still fight over how light or dark someone's skin is, what do you think people willl do to someone who is purple, or green?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Pic Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

logansmomma2007
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I agree.

Quoting princessnoodl03:

50 years, minimum.  If people still fight over how light or dark someone's skin is, what do you think people willl do to someone who is purple, or green?

BigMommaJesca
by Group Owner on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Quoting arthistmom:

What do you mean by "fully integrate"? That this alien race would, for example, speak the dominant language and not their own and abide by the cultural norms of our society and abandon (or at least sublimate) their own unique ones?

Yeah.

Personally, I think there are way too many x-factors to form a solid opinion here.  How similar are the aliens to us, physically?  That would make a difference.

Would human-alien mating result in disaster, or super-cute babies?  That would make a difference, too.

OBVIOUSLY, whether or not they can survive unassisted in our environment would make a big difference.

What they can and can't eat, whether they can physically form the sounds in our languages, whether they're too big for an elevator or too small for a sedan...ya gotta know these things!

If, however, these are star-trekky aliens...just like humans with an extra protrusion here and there, I'd say you guys are right...at LEAST 50 years, longer in regions less accepting of variety than ours.

LesHug
by Group Admin on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM

They may have already done it. No I'm not high, or crazy! LMAO!

arthistmom
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Quoting BigMommaJesca:

Quoting arthistmom:

Yeah.

Thanks for clarifying. Let's say that this alien race is not humanoid and their presence in our society would be extremely obvious, I think that it'll take even longer than 50 years for them to fully integrate. Given that we have immigrants of various cultural groups in the US, for example, who haven't yet fully integrated (e.g., don't speak the dominant language, by choice or otherwise) into American society despite establishing permanent roots generations ago. I think the speed of integration of this alien race would also depend on how accepting the society and culture that they're trying to join. An interesting question. . .

BigMommaJesca
by Group Owner on Mar. 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Quoting arthistmom:

Given that we have immigrants of various cultural groups in the US, for example, who haven't yet fully integrated (e.g., don't speak the dominant language, by choice or otherwise) into American society despite establishing permanent roots generations ago.

No shit?  The only people I've met who can't speak the language are either first-generation immigrants, or they're six and haven't been in public school long.  How do they get by for generations without learning the language?  Homeschooling and family businesses, I guess?

In my area, I see the opposite effect.  Kids who can't talk to their grandparents in Mexico because they don't speak the same language.  Cherokees who have never been to a powwow.  Asians who can't use chopsticks.  I see people LOSING their culture more often than refusing to assimilate.  While it makes me sad, I know that their lives would be much more difficult here otherwise.

JoyeAustin
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Intergrate like, body snatcher style? Or like, just got off the boat and are applying for their Green Cards? Are we going to have Little Alien Planet next to Little Italy and Chinatown?

BigMommaJesca
by Group Owner on Mar. 10, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Quoting JoyeAustin:

Are we going to have Little Alien Planet next to Little Italy and Chinatown?

Heck yes.  Authentic Venusian cuisine; shops selling cultural garb with 4 sleeves to a shirt; knick knacks in colors we've never dreamed of...

Everyone who's ANYONE will shop there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)