Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think JRT's deserve all the bad talk about them?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 753 Total Views

Yes, they are terriers, full of energy! Can you calm & handle your JRT? At what age did yours calm down, and allow you to realize just how intelligent & gentle these little bundles of love can be?

Did you have a difficult time with the housebreaking process...... did your JRT?

Are there any words you need to avoid using near yourJRT, and how do they react upon hearing the word(s)? 

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and LOVING CM!!
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Faith123
by New Member on May. 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM

We have THE calmest JRT in the world! She's always been very laid back ... people comment about how atypical she is of the breed.

Diin2
by Group Owner on May. 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Lola is 3.5, I'm teaching her to walk off leash through the woods, at first. She's listening to me when I tell her to stop, she's doing very well.

She is still a puppy at heart, loves to play, and has her stubborn moments.

You cannot say "walk" or "go for a ride" around her, she runs for the door, and whines., and then you have to take her!

Peace,

Diana

jetimom
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I have a very energetic and smart JRT. He loves people and loves to cuddle.  I was recently off work for 3 months with a broken ankle. Jack was by my side or on my lap the whole  time I was home.  We went to a obedience class at Petsmart when he was about 8 months old, he was class valeditorian.   The instructor would do little competitions. Jack loved those and would always win.

Jack has tried to fly into cakes at parties, luckily, someone has always caught him in mid-air. My husband calls him jerky, but I know he really likes him.  Jack's parent were hunters, so he has a very strong instinct and is constantly hunting outside.

Below is a picture of Jack when I had my broken ankle.

Faith123
by New Member on May. 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Quoting jetimom:

I have a very energetic and smart JRT. He loves people and loves to cuddle.  I was recently off work for 3 months with a broken ankle. Jack was by my side or on my lap the whole  time I was home.  We went to a obedience class at Petsmart when he was about 8 months old, he was class valeditorian.   The instructor would do little competitions. Jack loved those and would always win.

Jack has tried to fly into cakes at parties, luckily, someone has always caught him in mid-air. My husband calls him jerky, but I know he really likes him.  Jack's parent were hunters, so he has a very strong instinct and is constantly hunting outside.

Below is a picture of Jack when I had my broken ankle.

Awwww ... love this picture -- too sweet!! JRTs are very extremely loyal little dogs, aren't they?

jetimom
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Yes they are! I really love my little guy!

DoubleT
by on Aug. 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I think people that give them a bad rap 1) don't deserve to have their lives blessed with this wonderful breed and 2) are too ignorant to understand/handle them.  Yep a pet peeve of mine. Rant over to answer the Q's

I can handle my dogs wonderfully, it's all in understanding the breed, providing what they need (ie excersise) and general handling them.  Calm down? Define that more, LOL I've got a 13 yr old granny girl that is still a spit fire lol.  Housebreaking, nope not here, but again you have to understand the breed and be firm and consistant, then it's a breeze. Words? Nope.

san78
by Member on Oct. 17, 2010 at 8:20 AM

i must admit i really did want a JRT because of what people would saya bout the breed etc .. but honestly now id have a house full, our toby is very protective of me, my shadow, i love him to bits!

heres toby .. he was 4 in april and heloves fetching the mail and opening presents

jetimom
by Member on Oct. 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM

What a cutie!

Baby4us09
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM

My dog Diesel. JRT don't deserve the wrap they get or dumped in the shelter because someone can't handle the energy. It isn't fair to them. I went and rescued a dog named him Pepper m he was a senior, and a kind lady gave him his forever home. He passed a few months latter. He had a good few months at least. I lovemy JRT and won't trade him or dump him.

laughingsqua125
by on Jan. 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM
still have trouble house breaking of no 2 two floor .the other other 1 do pretty good both r sitsters age 3 yrs old .tracy calmed some her sister is like the tazmanian devil in a bugs bunny catoon .they are both characters a circus.
words dont use treats or they ll expect it right away
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)