Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you transfer your son mid school year??? Dont know what to do.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 396 Total Views

So I posted the other day, how I was so proud that my son was accepted into the gifted school and I am really proud of him. BUT... in order for him to be part of the program he has to go to another elementary school. We live in Florida so he has been in school now since end of August. I talked to the new school today and I love the way the program sounds and I think he would be really great and happy there in the long run but he is in the third/fourth gradenow and has been there since kindergarden. Do I make the choice for him. DO I give him input on the matter. DO i give him the whole choice to make on his own. They did say though that if he hates it and it does not work out and he can go back to the other school. Am I better off waiting till next year. UGGGG I do not know what to do.

PLEASE HELP....

Group owner of EAST PASCO MOMMIES.  Join us at  http://www.cafemom.com/group/eastpasco

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kylesmom
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I will be honest I did pull my son out of his school and moved him mid year and to this day it has been almost 3 years i do not regret.  The education Kyle is getting now is far more advanced than his other school.  When he comes home he wants to educate us and tell us about everything he has learned.  And since Kyle makes friends and adapts to changes easily the transfer was a breeze 

thisismemaria
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM

What does he want to do?

Will he know anyone at the new school?

Elizabeth4980
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I would move him now and not give him the choice.  Tell him it is what you think will be best for him and you want him to try it out for the rest of the school year.  Over the summer then you and he can discuss together whether he wants to stay with the new school or go back to his old school.  No sense in him wasting the next six months when he could be doing much more fun and challenging work in a program that is more appropriate for him.  And if he hates it and you want to move him back then you can just start fresh next year.

Liz

LisaWo
by Group Admin on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM

What does he want to do?

he says it sounds nice but a litle unsure. we agreed on a tour of the school to start with

Will he know anyone at the new school?

no

Group owner of EAST PASCO MOMMIES.  Join us at  http://www.cafemom.com/group/eastpasco

2girlsMom.MN
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I moved my daughter last year in January. I pulled her out of public school 2nd grade and put her in Catholic school 1st grade. No Regrets! I did it more for maturity reasons, bullying than I did for academics. She was the youngest in her grade with a 8/29 birthday and it became apparent she needed to be back a grade with kids closer to her age. My daughter loved the change and is very happy and thriving.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
claborde
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I would say always do what is best for your child. It sounds like this would be a great move for your child.  I would ask him to see how he feels tell him about the program in a exciting way. explain to him that it was a great honor to be chosen for this program.

I did move my some last year at the Christmas break and it was one of the best decisions I could have made education wise for him. Plus at this age he will make friends very fast.

semazani
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I wouldn't do it personally especially if it was purely based on gifted programs. 

I absolutely would not do it if he didn't want to be moved. 

We do have a child in a gifted program, but we did not allow him to start the program until 6th grade (jr high here).  I would hesitate in a major way to place an elementary child in a gifted program, but that is what works for our family.  Our youngest is in 2nd grade currently and is probably going to be tagged as gifted, but we won't allow him to participate.  His school is really good about giving enhancement work to keep the kids who are more advanced interested. 

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (12), Zachary (11), Trevor (11), Alex (10), and Nicholas (8).

LisaWo
by Group Admin on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

UPDATE

After my son has asked me everyday for the last week or so when we were going to check out the school I made a appoitment for us to go see it tmmr morning and we decided we will go from there.

Elizabeth4980
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Quoting semazani:

I wouldn't do it personally especially if it was purely based on gifted programs. 

I absolutely would not do it if he didn't want to be moved. 

We do have a child in a gifted program, but we did not allow him to start the program until 6th grade (jr high here).  I would hesitate in a major way to place an elementary child in a gifted program, but that is what works for our family.  Our youngest is in 2nd grade currently and is probably going to be tagged as gifted, but we won't allow him to participate.  His school is really good about giving enhancement work to keep the kids who are more advanced interested. 

That's great if you happen to have a school who is already excellent at serving gifted students, but a gifted student who is kept in a boring and stifling traditional classroom is only going to learn to "school is boring" and that isn't something we want our kids to learn.

Liz

twkltoz
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Just a quick comment.  The younger the child is, the easier it is for them to change schools.  don't worry to much about that,  I guess the worst thing that could happen is that you take him back to his old school.  Try it, it is worth a shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)