Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help needed

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

My daughter has never been picky about her clothes.  UNTIL NOW!  I need help I don't know what to do, it is a constant battle.  We tried doing it the night before then she changes her mind in the am.  She has tons of clothes.  She wears the same ones all the time.  Only wants to wear short sleeves....even in winter.  Granted she does run hot.  I have bought her tons of cute clothes and she refuses to wear them, even if she tried them on at the store!!!  Well she tried on an outfit at the store the other day and bought with her Christmas $$, I asked her about it yesterday.  Won't wear it, she wore it at home for a short while and washed her hands and the chest part fell forward a little bit, so will never wear it again! She is so picky!!!! I've tried putting the clothes she wears in a basket in my closet so she has to go through every outfit before I let her have the clothes back.  That's a screaming nightmare too.  Any advice???

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twkltoz
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

My DD does the same thing.  I got her some under shirts for the shirts that fall open,  and I let her wear what ever she wants.  She can be a bit bohemian, and definitely dresses her own way.  I will rotate her close so that she can only find certain things.   They are just at that age where they are trying to fit in, and finding there style.  Good luck.  This can be a trying time.  I don't remember going thru this stage until Jr. high,  Oh well,  Everything changes..

ASF
by on Feb. 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM

LOL, this is my 6yr old.  My 8 year old isnt pikie, but getting her to change clothes is like pulling teeth, she would be fine in the same dirty jeans and shirt everyday untill it falls apart.

auroragold
by on Feb. 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I'd be okay with wearing the same outfits over and over again but I wouldn't buy one new thing - even if she begged for it.  Why waste your money?  Or even why let her waste HER money (although I'm sure there's a good lesson there)?

I also wouldn't allow her to change her mind come the morning - IF it's disrupting your morning routine. If it doesn't disrupt the routine - let it happen

Homealonex2
by on Feb. 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM

My dd is a lot like this.  I bought some cute undershirt in different colors with lace to go under the shirts that open.  I remind my dd that she wore that last week we need to find another shirt.  My biggest problem is that my dd only want to wear thing once or twice then wants something new.  My MIL loves to shop and has been taking my dd since she was little.  This I think has rubbed off on my dd. 

mistym31
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I know how you feel the same way. My daughter is the same way. She used to be my easy kids but not anymore. She is mouthy and so picky... I wondered if others had the same problems, now I know. I guess we r well on our way to teenagers, huh. Just keep the peace in the household that is what I try to do. LOL!!banging head into wall

brandi185
by on Mar. 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM

i have boys but they do the same thing.  i really don't care.  if they want to wear the same 5 shirts (the average days between laundry days) then whatever.  my younger son wore his 2 football jerseys every chance he got after christmas (they were a gift) and just recently moved on.  i'm not worried about people thinking they don't have a good amount of clothes or that they wear dirty clothes.  i did ask one of my kids teachers once and she said kids do it all the time.  dressing themselves is one of the very few things kids this age have control over so unless she is completely mismatched (and we all have our own idea of what that is) you shouldn't worry about it.  if you stop stressing over it she might actually stop.  my 8 year old pops is collar and it drives me nuts but i don't stop him because it's his "style" and it's not hurting anyone.

Eagle293
by Group Admin on Mar. 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM

i have 2 boys and they just grab and go they dont care generally i have to tell them to put something on that matches

Marinewife0809
by on Apr. 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Ya like was said before, I wouldn't go out and buy her any new clothes, until she can wear what has already been bought for her! She will grow outta this phase though, hang in there momma:)

caseysmom4444
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I could put my son in a clown suit and he'd wear the thing to school...not picky at all. But he has no clue how to put anything that matches together so what I do is make outfits in his closet each on their own hanger and every morning he picks one and I don't add new outfits until the ones in the closet are all gone...that way he wears everything before rotating them again... no wearing the same thing twice unless he wants to do his own laundry (which would never happen lol)

Elizabeth4980
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Ugh - no advice, but all of a sudden my 3yo only wants to wear the same 4 or 5 outfits (all skirts/dresses) so I have tons of cute pants and other clothes that don't meet her incomprehensible standards going to waste.  So anyways I feel your pain but no suggestions here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)