Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reading

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 339 Total Views

just thought i'd recommend this.

my son hates to read.  his teacher has each student doing a reading project every 3 weeks.  he has been reading those how to train your dragon books and while he likes them he struggles to get through them.  like he gets bored with it but has to finish it.  so after the last one we told him he had to try a non-fiction, specifically a biography.  so he is super into inventions and science and stuff.  he expressed an interest in einstein but we thought that might be a little slow for his first biography.  so we ordered "nikola tesla and the taming of electricity".  we talked it up and told our son that tesla was basically a mad scientist.  he fought this change hard but last night he finally had to start reading it.  he loved it.  he kept coming out to tell me about things tesla did and he's even taking notes for his project.  that was just from the first chapter. 

the book seems like a great kids book.  it's less than 200 pages has full color photos and diagrams from tesla's life.  the book covers from birth to death and doesn't shy away from the fact that later on his ideas were basically stolen and most hidden from the public.  he invented free wireless electricity (among many other things) but that was bought up and hidden. 

i am even thinking about reading a book about tesla now.

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
anna_mccall
by Group Owner on Jan. 25, 2011 at 9:55 AM

My daughter loves to read. She always has her nose in a book. Her favorite books are actually about animals, like national geographic stuff. She wants to be an exotic veterinarian and work at a zoo when she grows up.

Momto2beauties
by Group Admin on Feb. 11, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Same here Ali loves to read. Infact she is one of the top 10 readers in the whole elementary school. However, lately we have been struggling because we are out of ideas to read. If she likes the book she will read the entire series in DAYS. She will sit in 1 evening and read a 200 page book like it's nothing. If  you all have any idea of books please pass them on to me.

Emeraldmama7
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 12:12 AM

How neat!!!  Not many adults know about tesla, so this sounds like a great way introduce history that most schools don't acknowledge!

My daughter loves to read, but struggles....so I will def. check this book out. Thanks  =)

matheson7
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 9:26 PM

That is cool, don't knock until you try it.

luvmy3b0yz
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 2:42 AM

My 10 yr old loves to read his fav are percy jackson series  or anything about mythology. My 9 yr old not so much i have to force him to read and he only like to read easy books i cannot get him to challenge himself. i think i give up to easily with him. but this year i will challenge to read actual 4th grade book. . My 7 yr old is just entering the 1st grade and he is on 1st grade reading level. so i am not really sure what kind of reader he will be but he does challenge himself by trying to read books. i have a nook so i download all kinds of books for them to read. it helps alot. i aslo have angry birds so the rule is read  for 20 minuted then u get to play angry birds. and its work out so far

sugarbaby143
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:11 AM
Our son hates to read. He struggles with reading compression. He likes splat cat, diary of a wimpy kid and I've been reading thea stilton at bed time. I may try books on how things work or about history and car repair, he likes to help dad with car repair....lol. Sometimes he tryst to tell me how things in the house work, not always correct though. Thanks for the post!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)