Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sucking his thumb.. ?????

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 169 Total Views
My son who will be six in August has started sucking his thumb.. ??  I am a little confuessed by this.  He never took pacifires as a baby and NEVER sucked his thumb.  Before recently (when I really started noticing it) he would watch movies and chew on his thumb.  But lately, like today for example, he was walking around with his thumb in his mouth and SUCKING on it.  Is anyone else had this happen??  My daughter who is 6months old sucks her thumb but I see this as a normal thing.  But can anyone explain why my six year old would all of a sudden be doing it?????  I am not even sure how to handle it. 
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
anm01tlm06jlm07
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM

they do it because the baby does it. My son who is 16 months old never took a pacifer or his thumb but as soon as the baby got here he started to take a pacifer. My daughter use to suck her thumb and we told her that her thumb was going to turn green and fall off and she quit. I have read a book and it says if you make a big deal about it the more they will do it.

Craftyjenn
by on Jun. 16, 2007 at 6:05 PM
I agree- it's more than likely because the baby does it. Since you said he also used to chew his thumbs, he may just have a bit of an oral fixation thing, too. He's old enough to understand that big kids don't suck thumbs though, so you should be able to explain it and give reminders and see it dwindle down soon. You can explain that it's not good for his teeth or skin, and that it's really something for babies to do.
Kids often pick up odd habits and the more you fuss about it, the more they do it. So just be cool and calm about it- if it seems like a more stubborn habit, perhaps try a sticker chart and try to go three or four days with no thumb sucking. Or maybe a special book or matchbox car if he can go a week without it... I would only use the rewards as a last resort though.

Good luck!
~Jenn Aaron
www.craftyjenn.bigyellowbox.net
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)