Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Staying the Night

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 286 Total Views
My 2001 Kiddo wants to stay the night at her bestfriends house.  Am I over reacting or is she still to young for that?  I tend to be a little overprotective, but I don't know.
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Patti72
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:02 PM
My 2001 daughter has only spent the night at relative's houses. She did okay, but I am not sure how she would do at a friend's house. Her older sister han't even done that yet!! lol
monicamomof6
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:09 PM
My daughter is six and she has spent the night a lot with her friend who lives down the street. She's been twice to another girl's house. I did get a little nervous when she slept over at the other girl's house just because it was further away, but she was fine. She has a great time at the other friends houes, and I know the mom well, and she only lives down the street, so if something were to happen. The first girl comes over to our house a lot too, and the other girl has slept over once.

I think it just depends on the child and what you're comfortable with.
EmileeRose95966
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:32 PM
YES!! She is too young to stay the night at a house that does not belong to immediate family! I would never allow my daughter to stay the night at a friends house...There is some good things to think about: The way the world is these days, mom's can barely trust anyone with their kids. Do you know the parents well enough to trust them with your child? Could they have a drug habit, domestic violence, alcohol problems?? Is there guns or other weapons in the house, needles, accessible poisions?Are they irresponsible, commit crimes?? You never know and it is better to err on the side of caution, how would you feel if you sent your child to someone's house and something terrible happened? If you've never been to their house yourself, you don't know if it's safe for your child.....or if you never met them prior to your kid going over, you don't know nothing about them....To make an even longer story short (lol), I don't know your exact situation but it's not a good idea unless you know the people well enough to trust them with your precious angel's life!
JACKIE28
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:46 PM
MY DAUGHTER JUST TURNED 7 AND THIS IS THE FIRST SUMMER THAT I LET HER SPEND THE NIGHT BY HER BEST FRIENDS HOUSE. I KNOW HER PARENTS VERY WELL AND THEY LIVE 1 BLOCK OVER SO IT MADE IT A LOT EASIER FOR ME. BUT I HAVE HAD SEVERAL OF HER FRIEDNS SPEND THE NIGHT AT OUR HOUSE. I AM PRETTY PROTECTIVE TO, BUT I WANT MY DAUGHTER TO ENJOY BEING A KID ALSO.
shortla2374
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Quoting EmileeRose95966:

YES!! She is too young to stay the night at a house that does not belong to immediate family! I would never allow my daughter to stay the night at a friends house...There is some good things to think about: The way the world is these days, mom's can barely trust anyone with their kids. Do you know the parents well enough to trust them with your child? Could they have a drug habit, domestic violence, alcohol problems?? Is there guns or other weapons in the house, needles, accessible poisions?Are they irresponsible, commit crimes?? You never know and it is better to err on the side of caution, how would you feel if you sent your child to someone's house and something terrible happened? If you've never been to their house yourself, you don't know if it's safe for your child.....or if you never met them prior to your kid going over, you don't know nothing about them....To make an even longer story short (lol), I don't know your exact situation but it's not a good idea unless you know the people well enough to trust them with your precious angel's life!

Well, I've known the Mom forever...over 10 years.  Our kids play together on a regular basis so that's not what I was nervous about.  It was just not having my baby there.  So the update is that she spent the day with them and she wanted to try and stay the night... I knew that she wouldn't be able to be away from me so that was the only reason I finally agreed to it.  It was kind of funny because while she was so excited gathering all of her stuff to take over there she wanted to take a t-shirt of mine and a hat of Dad's.  At 11 PM the phone rang and she was ready to come home.  LOL!

Joelsmom11601
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM
I think you did the right thing by letting your daughter sleep over and she found out on her own that she wasn't ready. I would rather Joels friend sleep over my house then Joel sleep over there house when it came down to it because I am very overprotective. Joel hasn't had friends sleep over yet. But we got pretty close. Maybe before the summer is over not sure yet.
EmileeRose95966
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Awww okay, I wasn't sure of the exact situation but it sounds like you have it under control...If you know the parents then by all means,sure!let em go! My daughter is the same way...3 years old, I took her to her grandmothers house today and dropped her off so I can go swimming, as soon as I left I got a phone call cause she was crying for me!LOL.... As long as you know the people, it's cool...Not that you needed my approval or anything, lol!

Take Care
shortla2374
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Quoting EmileeRose95966:

Awww okay, I wasn't sure of the exact situation but it sounds like you have it under control...If you know the parents then by all means,sure!let em go! My daughter is the same way...3 years old, I took her to her grandmothers house today and dropped her off so I can go swimming, as soon as I left I got a phone call cause she was crying for me!LOL.... As long as you know the people, it's cool...Not that you needed my approval or anything, lol!

Take Care
Lol.  No I asked for advise.  I really appreciate your advise.  The thing is that even if you've known the person for that long...you never know.  But I knew that she wouldn't be able to do it.  She likes to think that she's a big girl, but she's not.  lol.  Thanks again.  Really.
shortla2374
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 12:47 AM

Quoting Joelsmom11601:

I think you did the right thing by letting your daughter sleep over and she found out on her own that she wasn't ready. I would rather Joels friend sleep over my house then Joel sleep over there house when it came down to it because I am very overprotective. Joel hasn't had friends sleep over yet. But we got pretty close. Maybe before the summer is over not sure yet.
Thank you.  That's a good idea, I think that I'd prefer her to have a friend stay over.  I better enjoy the time that she doesn't want to leave me now.  j/k.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)