Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does the Tooth Fairy work at your house?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:32 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 293 Total Views
We have our first loose tooth and I was wondering what y'all do for your babes?  I've heard of a neat trick about a glass of water and food coloring... something about what color the tooth fairy is when she dips into the water to get the tooth.  My mom The Tooth Fairy always left me money for a tooth under a pillow.  I would LOVE to hear your suggestions! Thanks!!
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
auroragold
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:47 PM
Never heard about the water - sounds neat and something to consider.

We lost our first tooth last year - shortly followed by the second.  We have a third loose now.

Anyway  - the first one was a HUGE deal of course. More so for DH than for anyone for some reason. 

I found a little pink sequined butterfly shaped box on a clearance rack for all of $1.00.  I planned on giving her that with maybe a dollar inside.  DH wasn't having any part of a dollar - he put FIVE DOLLARS in there.  GEESH!  And he only took about 10 pictures of her with the tooth gone (like you could really see anything).

The second tooth got her a little star shaped tin of rings (cost - $1.00) and no $$ from the tooth daddy!  He is banned or we'll go broke before she loses all of her teeth!!

There are some cute little tooth fairy pillows out there - and tooth fairy boxes too.
Tigerflounder
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:55 PM

My mom gave my son a small tooth pillow that has his name on it.  He puts the tooth in it and the tooth fairy comes.  The first tooth he got one dollar and a small toy.  That was mainly because dh and i had just gotten back from Las Vegas and all I had in my wallet was 3 $100 bills and 1 dollar bill.  So I had to supplement with the toy.  The 2nd tooth he got $2.  I am assuming we'll stick with that.

Joelsmom11601
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM
Joel didn't get anything for his first tooth I still owe him money for it Embarassed. But when his first tooth fell out he told me he ate it. Then one day when we cleaned his room I found it. Man I was happy. He lost the second one last week I beleive. It was loose and daddy helped it. He got $5 for that one. It was pretty weird I was working the night he lost his tooth and some guy I worked with just gave me $5. I was like wow their really is a tooth fairy Surprised. Maybe I should buy Joel a tooth pillow.
justanotherjen
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM
We've only had 2 lost teeth.  They were Meagan's and they fell out just after she turned 6.  She ate the first one :( and was devestated but the tooth fairy left her a dollar anyway.  The second one fell out a week later and I still have it somewhere and she got a dollar for that one, too.  She will be 7 in June and so far no more loose teeth.  Owen doesn't have any either so it might be awhile before the tooth fairy makes another appearance.

I think Meagan said one of her top teeth was starting to feel wiggly, though, so we'll see.  She was one of the slowest teethers I ever saw.  She got her first 2 at 7 1/2 months and didn't get any other until she was about 15/16 months old, lol.  Which probably explains why it is taking so long for her to lose more, lol.
Momof2and1
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 11:42 PM
My middle child whose four had to have his tooth pulled about a year ago because it absesed (he fell when he was 2 and injured the tooth), but the "tooth fairy" didn't come visit him.  My oldest whose 5 just lost his first tooth and I had him color an envolope, put the tooth in it, seal it, and put it under his pillow.  The "tooth fairy" then placed another decarated envolope with money in it's place.  He got six dollars. 
We have made it quite clear to him though, that the first tooth you loose always is more special (you get more money) then the other teeth.. that way he's not going to expect that kinda money later.  He lost the bottom right front tooth and now the left bottom front one and the top left front one are loose.  So its just a matter of time before we have a visit from the "tooth fairy" again.
I also took a picture of him smiling to add with the envolopes.  I plan on doing this (even if the HORRIBLE truth about the tooth fairy comes out) with all three of the kids so that they can always have that memory and then share it with their own kids.  I however am not keeping the teeth. lol
I've also thought about makeing two boxes, one he puts his tooth envolope in and another for the tooth fairy to leave her envolopes in.. cause it's pretty hard convinceing a five yearold to put the envolope beside his bed instead of under his pillow.
Dwesterman
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 11:45 PM
we tell our kids that Jesus is bringing them something special under their pillow :O)
trego
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM
That is so weird, I came up from downstairs, being the tooth fairy. I saw this post and thought I was seeing things. How it works here: If you pull it on your own you get $2.00. If someone has to pull it .50 cents. So if the tooth is hanging, he usually opts for the $2.00. Since he collects coins he always gets $1.00 and $1.00 in assorted coins for his coin books. His 3rd tooth was pulled out at the Amtrak station on our way back home. The boys were delighted to know that the tooth fairy still found him to give him money.
Our 5 year old has not lost any teeth yet. But he will be good and ready when he does!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)