Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you respond?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 222 Total Views

Our school report cards do not have letter grades but a number system

• A - Adapted program
  • NI - Not introduced
  • 1 - Below standard
  • 2 - Approaches standard
  • 3 - Meets standard
  • 4 - Exceeds standard

Other than the 1 my 2nd grader got in participation for PE (I don't know why since he is very physical) he got all 3's and except some 4's in math. (We will be talking about the PE grade.)

I am glad that he didn't get any 2's and I am proud of him for working hard in class, but I wonder how much praise I am supposed to give him. I don't want to pressure him too much or make him feel bad at all, but I do want him to continue to improve.

It is difficult for me to be more involved in his learning since it is all in Spanish (spanish immersion school) and I know only a very little bit. I review his homework in terms of neatness for his handwriting and his dad reviews his math homework. Report card time is a good reminder for me that we need to find a way to be more involved though. 

Anyway my question is would you give a lot of praise for these kind of grades or would you spend more time talking about what can be improved upon?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Duh!?  Of course you would praise him! lol! And also discuss that he should continue this way. ask the teacher about PE and then see what improvements can be made.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:44 AM

We just crossed over in to the land of letter grades.  On some parts of the report card, it is still "E" (excellent) "S" (satisfactory) "N" (needs improvement) and "U" (unsatisfactory). 

We told my son that anything less than a "C" is not ok.  "N" isn't good either, but we don't ride him on it, we tell him that he needs to try and do better.

I would definitely have a conference with the PE teacher, and see why he got a low mark and what can he do to improve it. 

We certainly give praise for all grades, at least that he tried and maybe next time (for the low grades) he can do better.  We have conferences with the teacher to see what we can do at home to help out.  (I realize, though, that this may be a problem, with it being immersion school ;) )

As long as the kids make an effort, they should get praised.  Its hard being a kid in school sometimes :)

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Obviously some praise is in order here but I am wondering how much. This may be crystal clear to some but clearly it isn't for me so that is why I ask.

No need to be rude Joanne.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Jessica's school has the same 1-4 grading system and she gets all 3s and 4s consistently.  I praise her for doing so well (Great Job!  You really worked hard!  I'm so proud of you!).  And we talk about the 3s - how they're fantastic and absolutely acceptible.  4s are the best, but I don't expect all 4s because then there's nothing exciting about school.  She got a 2 on one card last quarter - for government  - and she and I talked about it and I've made it a focus to ask about that subject pretty regularly.  But I told her I wasn't mad about a 2, that it's "average" but it gives us something to work toward.  My child is very competitive and has made it a goal to get as many 4s are she can, but I made sure she understands that as long as she does her best I'm happy.

As far as praise goes, I think mentioning how proud you are for the 4s and how it shows how hard he's trying is a good start.  I (personally) don't believe in rewarding for grades, but I also won't punish for them (unless she starts failing reading or something that I know she can do well).  The lower grades give us, as parents, a place to focus and work with our children to either help them if they need it, offer more encouragement, or just focus on when doing homework.

And a big huge CONGRATULATIONS are in order for you and your son for his awesome grades.  It's hard being in school, I sometimes forget that myself, and just knowing that us parents are proud of them and supportive of them works wonders for our kids.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM

My biggest question is, why does your son go to a Spanish immersion school if you don't even speak Spanish? It's impossible to be involved in your childs learning when you don't know the first thing about what it is he's doing.  Sorry, I just find that really bizarre.   As for praise, other than the PE grade, which I don't find all the important anyway, he would've made the A/B honor roll in letter grades. That's pretty awesome! The PE grade was probably something silly like him being too rough with his friends or something.

Jolene- USAF veteran, SAHM to 3 gorgeous USAF brats & proud wife to my Tsgt, Bill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)