Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

For the new year we are going to try and be a little more organized...As a mother of three...7...5...and 23 months....I find it hard to keep the house in good order.  That is why we are going to start doing a "chore chart"...i have tried some thing like this in the past and it failed....we used "parent bucks"...each time the children did a good deed or helped out around the house they earned "parent bucks"...then they could use those to buy things like pick dinner, pick movie or something out of the treat box....any suggestions or maybe something that you do and it works?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Skitmom430
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I have tried the chore chart with my 7 year old daughter a few times.  She is great for the first couple of days and then stops doing things.  She has never made it to the end of the week to get an allowance.  I wish I could figure out how to motivate her to at least pick up after her self.

hannah.gif picture by caitmlodesigns

southenrmunchkn
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I really like the idea of parent bucks!

We've tried chore charts so many times and they never seem to last. We've started a new one this week that seems to be going ok so far. I made a list of things that needed done every day. Such as setting the table, sweeping, picking up the bathroom. I read the list to the kids and let them decide who does what. Once they start getting bored with their chores we'll swap them.

Mom_of_2_boys09
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM

You and I are in the same boat. I'm trying to do better with staying organized and having a routine for housework so that it doesn't become a huge mess, which results in me becoming overwhelmed, which results in me not wanting to clean a thing. LOL!!

I am starting the chore chart with my sons again. We have tried it before in the past, and we've never finished it. It wasn't because of my sons though. It was because of my lack of follow through. My sons would do all of the chores that they needed to do, as long as I reminded them. But, the routine started to fall off for me, so, I didn't follow through with them to make sure they stayed on their routine.

With that being said, make sure YOU follow through. You are the key to it all. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, if you do it everyday. So, if we follow through with our routines everyday for about 3 weeks; it should become a habit for us and our children.

mom-2-2
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I know it's a pain in the butt and you'd think that at 7 the kids would be able to handle listed chores......but I found that both my kids at that age (girl is 13 now and boy is 7 now) still need to be told what has to be done each day and when and how to do it right.

But one "tool" I have seen in a magazine, but have not used, is to write all the chores down on popsicle sticks and place the smaller group of chores for the day in a "pocket" on the fridge door. The kid then goes to pick a job stick (which they cannot see the writing till they pull it out) and has to do that job. You can change this idea to fit how it would work for you.  I always kept "meaning" to use it but sadly never have. But the Family Fun mag I saw it in says it works.

We use a written daily list that is switched weekly between the 2 oldest and the youngest fills in with small stuff I tell him to do. It doesn't always work right but for the most part things flow well that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)